Jake

Is Ol' roy dog food bad or good?

My dogs never ate Ol' roy before. I'm just wondering.

Asked by Jake on Feb 19th 2010 in Pet Food Recalls

Answers

It is one of the worst dog foods you can feed.

Ingredients:
Ground yellow corn, soybean meal, ground whole wheat, corn syrup, poultry fat, Meat and bone meal (Animal Fat Preserved with BHA and Citric Acid), Chicken by-product Meal, Rice, Animal Digest, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Vitamin D and E Supplement, Niacin, Copper Sulafate, Manganous Oxide, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Meadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex Source of Vitamin K, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Cobalt Carbonate, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Folic Acid.

It has very poor ingredients in the food. First ingredient is corn, which a dog can not digest. All the ingredients inthe food is bad. Paw-mail me if you want any other info.

Hugs & Wags,
Howard.

I agree with Howard. When you see corn, put it down and walk the other way. :-)

But when you see soy and corn syrup, RUN.

I would be very surprised if you get a good answer. Many of the members here take it as gospel that anything inexpensive is trash.

I try to be more objective, but frankly have little to base an opinion on. I do know that the regular Purina that receives the same contempt on the net as Old roy is a good food. I raised a number of dogs on it and they did fine.

I do several several fundraisers a year at Walmart. I watch the people wheeling their carts with Old Roy. They don't look like dolts that would continue to feed their dogs a food the dogs weren't doing well on. I really wish they would stop and talk to me. None of them ever look at my healthy puppy and ask whe it eats. In general, away from the net, most people don't talk much about dog food. I frequently take my puppy and give talks to groups. I never remember being asked what I feed it at one of the talks. One of the few people that ever asked about it is a rep for some premium brand.

Ol' Roy is garbage with little to no nutritional value for dogs.

Hector

I can't trash ol roy, as my dads oldest dog lived for 22 years on ol roy. She was active until she suddenly died of a heart attack.

My moms oldest living dog is 12 or 13, her second youngest is 9, they too have eaten ol roy as their primary kibble. They all seem to be doing very well.

I make my own dog food, but they do have kibbles available 24/7, and often it is ol roy. My oldest is 9, and has only been sick 1 time when he was about 1. I gave him some McDonalds sausage. Never again!!!!

Hector answered on 2/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♥Molly♥

THE MOST HORRIBLE, MOST NON-NUTRITIONAL DOG FOOD ON THIS EARTH TO FEED! not one of those ingredients howard posted said REAL meat. people are slowly killing their dogs w/out knowing it, by feeding ol' roy! it is just the most useless food out there..please do not ever feed it which i highly doubt you will with all the opinons your getting on it, just thought i would add my own opinion.

good luck!!

♥Molly♥ answered on 2/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

C.J. (C-ATCH,TDI,CGC,RE,ChSN)

Absolutely horrible. Please do your dog a favor and stay far away from this food and any others that use corn. Food need not be expensive to be of good quality. When you feed a higher quality food, you end up feeding significantly less so the cost quickly evens out.

C.J. (C-ATCH,TDI,CGC,RE,ChSN) answered on 2/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Kujo

dont do it. It is one of the lowest ranking foods. Check it out here:

www.dogfoodanalysis.com

Kujo answered on 2/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Cocoa Pebbles

My childhood dog, Shadow, which lives at my dad's house, has lived on ol roy her whole life. She is now 13 years old and still runs around like a young lady.

I don't feed it to my dogs, but Shadow seems to be doing fine on it, so how can you hate?

Cocoa Pebbles answered on 2/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Daisy

Its one of the worst foods out there. I believe in a study this was one of the foods that passed for having the euthanization drug in it. (meaning dead dog and cats are in the food.) Its not only bad when you look at the ingredients it lack they quality big time!!!! A very scary food. Vets around here who love science diet and purina will tell you feed anything else but alo or ol roy. Actually beneful or kibbles n bits is better and I wouldnt go near that stuff with a 10 ft pole bol!!! www.dogster.com
www.dogster.com
Some good reads found here in the nutrition area. I see some dogs on this food though and they all look ancient whether if they are 3 or 10. Dogs may stay alive on this but do well is a different story.

Daisy answered on 2/20/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Maverick

Mom works for Nutro and recommends looking at the ingredient list so you can see for yourself and decide. She recommends a food that has a protein source as the first ingredient such as chicken or chicken meal because that is what is mainly in the food since the ingredients are listed by weight. Mom recommends a food that uses rice instead of ground yellow corn. I suggest trying Nutro Natural Choice! They have a great line of food with no ground yellow corn, artificial colors or preservatives, and no chicken by-product meal (the heads, feet, and intestines) which may be found in other foods. Also, check the linoleic acid levels. The Natural Choice foods have 3.5% so that you are bound to see skin and coat improvement!

Check out their website at:
www.thenutrocompany.com

Maverick answered on 2/20/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ol' Roy is disgusting.
Nuff' said.

Chocolate

"They don't look like dolts that would continue to feed their dogs a food the dogs weren't doing well on."

Aster many dog owners have higher expectations for their dogs than simply not being sick! theres a different between getting by on a food and thriving on a food.

But anyhow that stuff is pretty cheap and poor quality. I was pretty surprised to see they even added corn syrup. that food is truly worthless. If your looking for a really inexpensive food identical in pricing to Ol Roy but a huge step up in quality, try Kirkland from cosco. If you can spend a tad more than that, Try Healthwise, Whole earth farms, Canidae,Taste of the Wild,Chicken soup. If price doesn't matter the best feeds include Innova, EVO, Ziwi Peak, etc.

Chocolate answered on 2/20/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sheba

We have fed it to our outdoor dog sence he was a pup. It would not be my first choice on food but my dads cheap and doesnt like to spend alot of money unless its on himself. But, it has never seemed to been a problem with our dog. However i do suggest that when you do finalize on what your going to feed your dog you stick with it, changing your dogs food can make them sick, we did that with our outdoor dog and his hair started falling out, and once before we did that with my parents cats and theyre hair fell out!.... Personally i would get something more high grade. I feed my two dogs (all mine not family pets so i choose what they eat) Purina Dog Chow, and they do great on that and my vet said thats a great choice too. :) good luck

Sheba answered on 2/20/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

The food is garbage, stay away from it. My brother had his dog on Roy years ago, his vet told him to go home and throw it in the garbage. His vet said it was the worst of the worst.

I used to to be one of those people who fed it. After learning about what to look for in a food and what ingredients dogs digest better, however, I'm never, ever, feeding it again.
My dislike of Ol' Roy has nothing whatsoever to do with price--it's the ingredients and expecting me to believe that a carnivore like the dog can do just as kriffing well on mainly corn as they can on mainly meat that gets me. I tend to be an understanding person for the most part, but I admittedly do have things against the makers of that kind of crap. The makers of Ol' Roy probably don't know better and are probably going by some (faulty) studies I've found in my research, figuring that "of course the AVMA knows better than they do". I should be able to give you links to these studies and explain why I feel they are faulty if you wish. The AVMA is made up of people, and people make mistakes. Thus I think it's just plain silly to accept whatever they say just because they said it.
Enough of my rambling now and onto the heart of the matter:
Dogs are carnivores. Dogs in general can *survive* on a corn-based diet, including Ol' Roy, BUT dogs in general *thrive* on a species-appropiate diet. This means that dogs should be fed a meat-based diet. There's more to it, what other ingredients to avoid and whatnot, but that's the basic idea.
Here's a couple of sites I recommend reading:
www.dogfoodproject.com
thepetcenter.com
Please note that I do not agree completely with either site, but both were part of my research.
I'd also like to make it clear that I do not want you to just accept what I say. I want you to do your own research and come to your own conclusions. I've researched this subject until I've wanted to bang my head into a wall and I have noticed a difference for the both in both of my dogs from the change in diet. That said, I'm human. I can make mistakes. We each must decide for ourselves which paths to take. Use your head.
Well, anyway, that's my disclaimer. If you have any questions or anything, I'll be happy to help you. I'm only a PM away if you need me.

Kawfee

My dogs have been eating this for a while and so far so good, we have used kibbles and bits and they like it. However i been reading those are bad quality. Now that isnt the only thing we feed to our dogs, sometimes raw chicken or meat. Take in mind there are five members in my family all of them with their own expenses with only two of them that have a source of income. If i could find another brand even with a little price increase, i would get it.

Kawfee answered on 2/19/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

LOKI

yuck...if your dogs a cow or any other corn eating animal.then yeah id say its a good food otherwise if you love your dog go online and do research on the best foods to feed your dog.please stay away from the "cheaper"brand dogfoods and READ THE LABELS.

LOKI answered on 3/1/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

nutty

my dog has been eating this for quite awhile and when she was( i changed to purina) she was itching like crazy! i found out there was a blue die that makes your dog itch this along with kibbles n' bits. stay far away from these brands.

nutty answered on 8/19/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I can tell you that some dogs would do ok with ol' roy but it is nearly poison to other dogs. My 12 year old lab mix eats ol' roy and seems to be ok. On the other hand the German Shepherd he grew up with ate the same food and nearly died from it along with many other dogs. She had such horrible diarrhea that she wasted away until she went from weighing ninety pounds to forty pounds. I was only a teen at the time and so I left it to my parents to decide what to do but advised them to see a vet. She was put on medication but I remain firmly convinced that it was the dog food because i have read many other people's horror stories about ol' roy and they seem to be the same as mine. I also recently got a new puppy and not knowing how bad this food was i fed it to her. She in turn ended up with the same problems as the shepherd and as soon as i realized this i took her off of it. She now eats Orijen and that is the only dog food I will ever feed her.