♥Tiffy♥

How much does microchipping cost?

Thanks to Gray Dawntreader, I am now looking into getting my Tiffy microchipped because we live in a mobile home park, and we just sometimes let her outside to run around. Especially in the mornings, she just sometimes goes out by herself and does her thing. But she stays in the front of our house. This has left me very skeptical. Is microchipping the same price for all dogs? Or do they charge by size and breed?

Asked by ♥Tiffy♥ on Apr 15th 2008 in I.D. Tags & Microchips

Best Answer

Microchipping costs the same, regardless of the breed and size of dog.

However, prices for microchipping vary widely, depending on where you're at. I had Abby chipped while we were at the K-9 Games and it cost me $35. My local vets all charged in the area of $50 for the same thing. So it really depends on where you're located, and where you get it done.

I would just call different vet's offices in your area, and ask what they charge. Also ask them what company their chips are from. There isn't "one" microchip - there are a number of companies like Avid, Home Again, etc.

Also, once chipped, YOU have to go online and register your chip - put your address, Tiffy's information, photo, etc. The chip itself will not help your dog get home if she's lost - you MUST register it and keep it current.

Lastly, I think you're very irresponsible just letting Tiffy outside to "run around". Not only is that against the law in most places, it's also a very stupid thing to do.

Abby answered on Apr 15th.

Answers

Bear and Bambi - Mommys Angels

I just had this done and my vet charged me 15.00. I think it is a great idea! You should definitelt have it done.

Bear and Bambi - Mommys Angels answered on 4/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Yes, we think you should too! Luckily for us, our breeder microchipped Alex and Abby before we brought them home. But I also know our vet charges $12, so I would say it's pretty inexpensive anywhere you go.
And it's just this little thing that goes under their skin. I saw an x-ray of Alex one time and I could see it! It was very tiny! Of course, so is Alex, bol....

I think I payed around 38.00 a dog to chip for 3 of mine & Sheba was chipped before we adopted her.

With that said:
"Lastly, I think you're very irresponsible just letting Tiffy outside to "run around". Not only is that against the law in most places, it's also a very stupid thing to do."
I agree 100%...Dogs running loose can be hit by cars, stolen, used as bait to train fighting dogs, sold to animal research labs, tortured, poisoned & killed by other animals...Plus, if I understand correctly, Tiffy isn't spayed because you were considering breeding her after the age of two as implied by your "best answer" seen here:
www.dogster.com
Letting her run loose is just begging for adding to the problem of pet overpopulation!!!
Microchipping will not help in any of these very possible scenarios.

i just wanted to say, it lasts up to 25 years!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, my goodness....you let her run around on her own outside???!

Eeek!

I think she's actually in FAR more immediate and real danger from being outisde by herself than she would ever be from an abduction.

She could wander off, be hit by a car or attacked by another dog or even a coyote if you let her out early or late enough.

If you feel better microchipping Tiffy, then do it. But, PLEASE don't allow her outside by herself.

PS If she does her business outside by herself, how do you know where to find it to pick it up?

We used to let Cookie loose are as long as she liked at night. Big mistake. When we found out that you shouldn't let a dog out in an unfenced area because they can get stolen, cause trouble, or get into trouble. Because of us letting her out, now she thinks that she owns the street and because of that it's harder to control her when we take her for walks.

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you

Microchipping is a good idea if you are not keeping an eye on your dog all the time.It does not always mean that your dog will find it's way home. It only means that if she ends up at the shelter tell will scan her.But if she gets picked up and no one takes her to the shelter then they will have no idea that the dog even had a chip. Please keep an eye on your dog,it would be such a tragity if you left her out and someone came along and took her for themselves. It is happening more and more every day.
Micro chipping codt anywhere between $15-$60. This is something that you can certainly price shop on.

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you answered on 4/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Mischief

same price for all dogs .. and it was about $15 for each of the boys

Mischief answered on 4/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer