Girl

How does she do it?

I feed Girl Properly but she doesn't want to eat, sometimes for days. However she never seems to loose a pound. Why?

Asked by Girl on Aug 4th 2009 in Obesity

Answers

Please give more details. Her breed or mix. How much does she weigh, age, activity level, what you feed her and daily amounts? Health history, is she tested for parasites?
Without details it's hard to say if you are giving her too much food, or she is ill and need the Vet.

If the dog never did eat very well, and has seen the vet since the problem existed, you may be over feeding it. A vet check still won't hurt. Many dogs will snarf down more than is good for them and look for more. Others refuse to eat more than than they need. Evaluate the dog as illustrated in this link, www.longliveyourdog.com You may want the vet to confirm your judgment. Adjust the dogs food and exercise as needed to reach its ideal body condition. Some German Shepherds and other breeds may refuse to eat enough to completely hid their ribs. As long as you are feeding a concentrated, meat based chow, the best thing is to accept it.

The worst thing you can do is to bribe a dog with rich foods into eating more than it needs. Instead, Put down the dish with what the dog should eat, and give it 15 minutes to eat. Then take it up. Do not give it anything to eat until its next scheduled meal. In a few days, it should be eating what it needs. Continue to check its ribs and adjust the food as needed. This is not easy. I had a Shepherd go 3 days on a few nibbles. I was a wreck, but she was fine. It is almost unknown for a healthy dog not to eat what it needs. Unfortunately, in too many cases, it is less than the package says, and less than the owner thinks the dog should have. Many dogs are quite good at holding out for tastier chow. Like kids, sometimes it calls for tough love.

Harley

Well here we meet again!! Hmmmm..
If a person didn't eat for days they would lose weight! so go figure ...If Girl isn't eating for days and she isn't losing any weight?
I say some one is feeding her maybe that
You do not know about?? Is it possible that
a friend, child or neighbor could be sneaking her some goody's???
I know that I have fed my neighbors Boxer
when he comes to visit which is usually daily.
He seems to think our food is better than his food at home.. So you never know??
she appears to look pretty healthy...
but if her energy level is down and she is not losing wieght... and you know for sure she isn't eating from any one... Then vetting her and doing a physical may be needed..
Gracie was over weight and didn't eat a lot so I had her thyroid checked. Exercise is key..
Many dogs do not gobble food but are not very active and can keep their weight on..
Just like a person!!

Harley answered on 8/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer