How do I avoid pet dander?

I have allergies, but I want a Shiba Inu. Which apparently sheds a LOT. So how can get a Shiba Inu without upsetting my allergies.

Asked by Member 928205 on Dec 7th 2009 Tagged allergies, shibainu, shedding, dander in Shiba Inu

Answers

♥Molly♥

i think there are shots for humans for allergies. that CAN help your allergies not react so much. i would talk to your doctor about getting a shot for allergies twoards pet dander. GOOD LUCK!

♥Molly♥ answered on 12/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Allergies are the least of your worries. Shiba's are dominant, brilliant little demon dogs. Either you have lots of time to train it or it will drive you insane with it's creative means of entertaining itself.
With so many options, why deal yourself a double whammy?
There are many Hypoallergenic dogs of all sizes. Keep doing your research before you settle on a Shiba

en.wikipedia.org

When you scroll you will see a chart of dogs, if I were you I would go with the no shedding dogs.
Also research your breed, is this the characterisics you Want??
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiba_Inu

K-10 Von Canein

This may sound strange, but it is an honest answer. My mother in law has been allergic to dogs and cats all of her life. A different relative, on my side, has also been. Neither of those people are allergic to K-10. K-10 is on a raw meat and bone diet. Once switching to the raw diet, shedding nearly stopped completely, body odor disappeared, etc. I hope other answers come in to either combat this one or support it.

K-10 Von Canein answered on 12/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Max (aka Sebastian)

I am also allergic to dog dander.
1st, there is no such thing as a hypoallerginic dog, all dogs have dander.

I have a mini schnauzer, we love the breed and are schnauzer people. He does have a lot of dander, we try to manage it by keeping him properly groomed, and while at the groomers they use a lava rock on him to help get rid of some dander.
There are other things that can be done, like not allowing the dog in your bedroom, especially to sleep in there with you or on your bed.
I manage my allergies with meds, for me claritin works well.
Do your reseaech, only you know how sever your allergies really are. And choose a breed that does not shed a lot and does not suffer from skin problems (dry skin) which could make the dander worse.

Max (aka Sebastian) answered on 12/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Phineas Rex

I didn't even know I was allergic to dogs until I got my Shiba Inu. I grew up with dogs and cats and never had a problem. Shiba's really only shed in the fall and spring. However, they shed a lot at those times. I found the best solution is to keep your house as clean as possible. I did this by getting a roomba to vacuum my floors every day. It was worth the expense. I also make sure my Shiba is groomed often during this time. Finally, make sure your Shiba is not allowed in your bedroom. This can be your safe haven from the dander. And I did also opt for allergy shots.

Phineas Rex answered on 3/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer