How can I potty train my dog?

My dog was doing good when we brought her home but then she suddenly started going pee on the floor. I was teaching her on the pee pee pads but now i don't know how to teach her .someone please help me. give me advice on what to do.

Asked by Member 530478 on Dec 13th 2007 Tagged potty, peepeepads in Crate Training

Answers

Any time a dog (of any age, really) has a relapse, it is best to go straight back to square one with the potty training.

I have a basic guide to housebreaking a dog in Jack's diary(back a few entries, so look through to find it.) It might help you start over.

The pee pads are really a bad idea. The problem is that dogs have an ingrained instinct to NOT go to the bathroom where they live. In the wild, dogs do not urinate or defecate in or near their dens.

Once the dog gets used to being taken outside to eliminate, then they start to also see your home as their "den." The problem with the pee pads is that they are INSIDE the house and so this really gives the dog the wrong idea and makes it confusing. They should be used only as a last resort. Taking the dog outside is definitely a much better way.

Abigail! ♥

First make sure that any scent of the urine is completely eliminated from the carpet. We steam clean and also use Nature's Miracle.

I agree with taking her out on a normal schedule, 2 or three times a day at the same time and praising her when she goes outside.

I would try crate training to get her used to holding it until she can go outside.

Abigail! ♥ answered on 12/13/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Shinji

I agree with Jack. Teaching a dog to go indoors is not a good idea. And yeah, you probably need to start all over again.

Here's what worked for me: I got Shinji when he was 2 months old, and I had him house trained in about 5 days. Fortunately, I adopted him right when I was about to have a week off of work, so it was easy to devote constant attention to him. I closed him off in a room with me a watched him like a hawk. I took him outside 2 or 3 times per hour. Usually, he would at least pee and I would give him a treat and PRAISE HIM. Eventually, he started going to the door, but I still took him outside at least once per hour to prevent accidents. At night, he slept in his crate, which taught him self control. In a crate dogs need enough room to stand and turn around. If there's too much room, they'll just pee/poo in one corner and sleep in another. Feed on a schedule so you can anticipate her poo time, and never scold for accidents you don't actually see happen. Good luck!

Shinji answered on 12/13/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Arturo (cc'd GDB puppy)

Often this can be caused by a UTI (Urinary Tract Infection). Dog owners will have a perfectly potty trained dog, and then it will all of a sudden start peeing in the house. If that occurs without any provocation, I'd have to guess that it's a UTI. It happens all the time, and very few people think of the UTI as a possibility. You may want to have her checked by your vet.

Arturo (cc'd GDB puppy) answered on 12/13/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer