I bought a PETCO brand Hickory Pork Ham Bone 2 days ago, my dog literally wolfed it down with in hours... 6 Hours later I came home and he had thrown up EVERYWHERE... I have had him for a little over a year and he has never thrown up. the next night I woke up at 5AM with him throwing up by my bed. I saw PETCO that same day did a recall on cow hooves and pig ears due to salmonella contamination. But when I looked up the sku # it had nothing on the bone that I bought. Has anyone had this problem before? I feel so helpless when my little guys sick. I have all intensions of calling PETCO to casually ask. but until then how do I help my dog?
- Cast your vote for which answer you think is best!
Has he ever been fed pork bone before? You can call up your vet to ask for advice.
Sorry, I'm just not sure what to tell you in this specific situation, other than calling the vet.
I would like to add for future reference, though, that cooked bones should be avoided. Because the moisture is cooked out of them, they splinter much more easily than raw bones. Also, bones from heavy animals such as beef bones are to be avoided as they can chip your dog's teeth. Any raw bone being fed should have meat and/or skin covering it.
The above is my opinion. Viewers are advised to decide for themselves.
Cookies 'n' Creme (1998-2011) answered on 11/8/09. Helpful? / 0
Oh no, not to scare you but a couple of weeks ago someone posted that their dog Noel had died from eating one of those bones.
I would call the ER vet NOW.
Sending healing thoughts and best wishes.
Fritz answered on 11/8/09. Helpful? / 2
pork bones raw or cooked splinter and dogs shouldn't have them. Raw bones can harbor bacteria and so can the package cooked ones, and I can see from your post, so do the hoofs and pig ears. Salmonella is common in many raw meats, remember the folks getting sick? Also all raw processed poultry has salmonella contamination, that is why there are warning labels on it. to cook it thouroughly. I guess salmonella must be a thereat to dogs too since they did a recall.
Scary stuff! Call the Vet asap.
Ruby answered on 11/8/09. Helpful? / 0
I would call your vet and ask.
and in the future, avoid cooked bones! Raw is fine but cooked ones can splinter.
Chocolate answered on 11/8/09. Helpful? / 0
Isy suffers a similar situation with the pork bones. She does just fine with the beef tho. I usually avoid pork cuz I've had too many animals, dogs and cats, have issues with the pork stuff over the years. The pork one isy puked all over the floor was a pork bone mixed with the beef bones in the store. I was dumb and didn't check. I ALWAYS check now. BTW, theses bones are smoked and dried like jerky, not cooked. They don't splinter. She always get a great big one for xmas every year and she LOVES it!!!
Isy answered on 11/8/09. Helpful? / 0
I know the petsmart i go to has pulled all of theirs. I agree with others i would go to the vet, better safe then sorry
Ty answered on 11/8/09. Helpful? / 0
Lola had the exact same reaction last weekend and she ate some kind of pork bone. We were at a friends house and she bought them from Petsmart, so I don't know if it was the same bone or not. I took her to the vet on Monday and she turned out to be fine, but she never pukes either... unless she eats glass or a whole bag of dog food!
Lola Penelope answered on 11/8/09. Helpful? / 0
If it was at petco then it was cooked. cooked bones are highly dangerous for the fact of splintering, then puncturing the intestines and stomach linings. It can cause blockage and also rupture. Not to mention broken teeth.
The vet can do a simple body x-ray to see if the bone is still trapped inside.
Also yes, bacteria and salmonella contaminations. very likely.
Try the black kong you can stuff them with foods.
Dieta answered on 11/9/09. Helpful? / 0