Eve

Getting dog fixed. Any tips?

I will be getting my 13 month old Shih-Tzu spayed. However I am concerned about post surgery. Things that can go wrong, what I should be prepared for, how to care for her, etc. Eve is my first dog, my baby, and I would like her to be as stress free as possible.
Thanks.

Asked by Eve on Aug 5th 2010 in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

Gidget

I have had many dogs altered. Only one didn't do so well. That was many years ago.

She didn't tolorate the anethesia to well. She had some vomiting, irriation around stitches, she was a bit on the lethargic side for a couple of days. Didn't eat, drank only a little. None of the symptoms got severe. Since she was the first one I had gotten fixed, I didn't know that these were common.

Anyway, I was told if the symptoms got worse or didn't start improving after the 3rd day to bring her in. She did start getting better on the second day.

I now have 4 dogs, my males breezed right through it, no after effects. Ready to play by the time they got home. My female took a bit longer to get over anethesia but was playing by nightfall.

Your vet will offer a blood panel, you can opt for it or not have it. It will tell if there is any reason your dog will have problems with anethestia. It might make you feel better to know ahead of time.

You will worry I'm sure, but I hope this helps!

Gidget answered on 8/5/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

the vet should give you a big list of directions. I keep them very quiet, don't let them bite at the stitches. If they do chew the area have the vet give you a plastic med collar.
Just look out for a red inflammed tissue and any odd behavior.
It might take a couple of weeks for her to be alright on the sight of the surgery but she should be alright. Bridget had a little chewing on it but we scolded her and she stopped. And she was a little sore for a few days at the sight. We kept her in a room where it was quiet and minimal exercise. Good luck :)

Pepsie

When I got my dog spayed the day before we got her spayed the vet told us not to give her food or water that night. When your dog gets spayed she will probaly be very tired so when you get home from the vet let her rest on some blankets or in her crate. Try to get her as comfortable as possible. Yes, she WILL be at least a little stressed because she might be sore. Pet her to comfort her and be by her side. If your dog is showing seriouos signs of pain(like every step is hurting) take her to the vet again and they'll give her medicine. Good luck!

Pepsie answered on 8/10/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer