Gia

Does Petsmart Training Work?

I was thinking of signing my dog up for private lessons to help her aggression problems, does petsmart offer training for aggression? If they do, should I enter her? Like, do they really work??

Asked by Gia on Jul 6th 2011 Tagged training in U.S. Northeast

Answers

All PetSmart trainers are different. Also these classes are for basic obedience only -- they are not behaviorists that specialize in aggression. You need to see a qualified behaviorist for this.

Honey

Yes, Petsmart training does work. I don't know if they offer agression training, but signing her up for regular training may help her agression. It may help her stay entertained, and when she gets agressive you can give her comands like stop, sit, stay, shush. That may help her agression. Good Luck!

Honey answered on 7/6/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It depends on the trainer. Some are great, some, not so much. I have a few Petco and PetSmart stores near me and have seen the good, the bad and the ugly as far as trainers go.

You need a behaviorist. PetSmart may or may not have one working for them. You'll have to ask.

There are plenty of other trainers/behaviorists that work independantly and don't cost any more than PetSmart. Check the yellow pages.

It is also important to remember that a training class is not to train your dog, it is to train YOU to train your dog.
It is extremely unlikely that any basic obedience class, no matter how good the instructors are, will have the time to work individually with aggression problems. Unless it is a class specifically designed for these problems, (reactive rover, etc.,) it is not fair to the rest of the class to bring in an aggressive dog.
You need a behaviorist, not a training class. This person needs to come to your home and observe the interaction between you and other family members and the dog and see where mistakes in handling are occuring.
No class can do this since the dog will not be in the place where the aggression issues are taking place.

Ikan

I agree with the post of it depends on the trainer. I know both the trainers at the local petsmart. One has been training dogs for years, and the times I have watched her classes, she is very good with the animals and does a nice job when people ask questions. The other learned from petsmart training school and just gives answers she learned from the classes. She is not very good with more difficut questions and seems to give the same answer to everything asked. As far as I am concerned, experience makes the best trainers.

Ikan answered on 7/12/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer