Correct dosing for small dog?

The de-wormers available come in doses for 10lbs, 20lbs and 40lbs. Pepper is 12lbs. Do you think it will be effective enough to just give him the dose for 10lbs or should I move up to the bigger size? Will the bigger size overdose him?

Asked by Pepper on Jan 10th 2013 in Worms & Parasites

Answers

What kind of worms are you worming him for? Did you have a stool sample checked by your vet to see what kind of worms he has?
The wormers you get from the vet mostly come in liquid which can be given in the exact dose they need, for only the worms they really have and therefore are MUCH safer than guessing what weight and what you are worming for.
Wormers are poison, especially the OTC ones that are a mixture to kill more than one type of worm and shouldn't be just given UNLESS you know what kind of worms you are after. And, unless you know what type of worm, how do you know what wormer to use? Different wormers kill different worms, NOT ONE kills ALL worms.
I also have small dogs and I would not just give an OTC general purpose wormed ever. I find a stool sample, checked by my vet and then the exact wormer I need, also from that vet, in the exact dose for that dog is much less expensive than buying a whole bottle of the OTC stuff at the pet or feed store.

Have you seen worms in his feces? Is he coughing or losing weight fast? Call the vet, let the vet's ofc know you're bringing a FRESH stool sample to test for worms. The vet will then advise you what dose-dog's weight of any med(if any) that Pepper needs. Follow the dosage & time btw doses exactly. Worms kill so don't put it off till later. OTC walmart stuff is crap, don't waste your $$. A preventative is to keep their doo cleaned up out of the yard.. I have to rake it out of the grass, not fun but it saves me $$ in dewormer.