Cheyenne

chewing the couch!!

CHEY-CHEY HAS BEEN CHEWING THE COUCH!

OH MY DOG! HOW DO I STOP IT?

I AM SCARED TO BUY A NEW ONE BECAUSE SHE WILL JUST CHEW THE NEW ONE TO!

HOW SHOULD I STOP HER?! PLEASE HELP!

Asked by Cheyenne on Nov 6th 2009 in Chewing

Answers

Milo, CGC

Bitter green apple spray sells in most pet stores. You can spray it on your furniture and keep applying every 24 hours. Also there is two sided tape (which I use for my cat).

Milo, CGC answered on 11/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I tried that stuff on Sunshine when she wouldn't leave a leg wound be, haha said Sunshine and kept licking... tried the no lick hot pepper stuff too, from the vet @ $10 a small spray bottle. Made me cough when I sprayed it on her bandage, hahahaha...said Sunshine and kept licking .
I have found that a dog will chew when something fascinating appears to be inside, as in perhaps a mouse ran across the sofa? common out here this time of year. You might even have one IN there. Did you have a lady friend visit that perhaps it was her time of the month? Did someone eat while seated on the couch and spill? The dog THINKS there is something to be found IN THE COUCH...she's just trying to get to it. Sorry except for maybe heavily spraying with fabric refresher or sprinkling with cayene pepper I can't think of anything else. Something about the couch has changed, if you can figure out what maybe you can stop the behavior.

A mousetrap is very effective in making a dog leave something alone. Most dogs will stay away from anywhere they were surprised by a snap. The best part is that it is not you that is correcting the dog. It works whether you are around or not. The mousetrap is very patient and is always on task as long as you reset it.

Better than mousetraps when you aren't around is the crate. Other dogs may not be as bad as the young Labs I am plagued with. Still your house and dog will be much safer with the dog in a crate when you are away. The dog may be happier in its den than loose in the house. It relaxes, it feels safe in its den. It rests, the body slows down reducing the need for water and relieving its self. Dogs that have been crated all along do very well. Many of them will rest in their crates even when the door is open. I think the plastic ones give the dog more of a safe, enclosed den feeling. They are harder for dogs to open too. Metal ones can be put in a corner or covered with something the dog can't pull in and chew. Select a crate just big enough for the full grown dog to stretch out in.

Leave it some toys. Perhaps a Kong filled with peanut butter. Don't leave anything in the crate the dog might chew up. It will do fine without even any bedding. You will come home to a safe dog and a house you can enjoy.

A dog that has not been crated since it was little, make take some work. Start out just putting its toys and treats in the crate. Praise it for going in. If you have been able to trust it with any bedding, put that in the crate. Feed it in the crate. This is also an easy way to maintain order at feeding time for more than one dog.

Shiver Me Timbers

As stated above, when you aren't home, a crate is best. Keeps them and your stuff safe from harm until you return home. If she's doing this while you're home, remove her from the couch physically, before verbally. Dogs understand body language before sound.

You could also try placing her on what some know as 'umbilical'. The leash wrapped around your waist and attached to her, preventing the dog from getting into any unsupervised trouble. This gives you freedom to correct unwanted behavior instantly and tends to bond you and your dog better at the same time.

I hope things are figured out.

Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie" answered on 11/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru

yep, I know this well, our rescue does this annoying stuff too.
But, really the crate and even the tether as mentioned is going to curb the chewing alot.
I still struggle over a year now with the rescue but it is only maybe a 5 % thing versus the 95% chewing and the crate has helped tremendously.
Crating with food tid bits and the kong. She looks like a strong chewing dog because of her size, try the Black kong. You can stuff them with food.
Giving her something she can chew on will click over time. I find that when the kongs get left outside the chewing dog we have kicks into our stuff. So, try making the kong available all the time.
Tethering a four foot leash to your waist keeps the dog with you if you don't have a crate yet.
Just keep reinforcing the toy and keep your eye on her.

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru answered on 11/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer