Riley

Chewing stuff in yard and elsewhere?

Ever since we have had Riley off his chain.. We had some problems.. We have these plastic lights that light up during the night in our yard.. and he likes to chew them up...and then my dad has this trailer that hes been working on with wires and such.. and Riley has been chewing them up also... He gets in my neighbors trash, At least that's what I heard today.. Well...Hes been getting in trouble from my dad, and so my dad put him back on the chain, I think its COMPLETLEY NOT FAIR... I dont know what to do now ;-;

Anyone would like to give me some tips?..

Lots of thanks! <3

Asked by Riley on Sep 27th 2011 in Chewing

Answers

I have a simple solution buy a rubber kong, buy the black one. and let him know that it's his like when he bites it or plays with it praise him each and every time. they cost about 11-12 bucks.
you can stuff it with peanut butter or cheese.
my dogs love them and they give them such a great sensation of chewing bc they are springy yet tough rubber. but make sure if the kong gets worn at the top you replace it some dogs are super chewers.
also make sure there is no objects laying around. pick up the yard as if you are baby proofing it for your doggie. :) tell him that if he buys a kong and you pick up the stuff that he might quit and to give him another chance :) say it with a pretty please :) dogs don't like to be chained up

It's unsafe and inconsiderate to your neighbors to let him roam freely (which I assume is happening if he's getting into their trash.)

Can you let him in the house at night? Or how about buying a kennel? I see them for sale cheap on Craigslist quite often. It sounds like he's spending a lot of time unsupervised outside, which is generally not a good idea.

Its not fair for Riley are the neighbors for him to roam free. Its very dangerous for Riley he could get run over if he has not been fixed and female close by comes in heat he could run off and get lost also neighbors could put out poison that would make him very sick and kill him also most every were there is a leash law dogs that are roaming free the dog catcher gets and takes to the pounld. You could save up and get some wire and make a dog pen he would not be on a chain have lots of room to run but would be safe.

I guess you are forgetting about your last dog...the one that disappeared and was never seen again!
Dogs are not safe when allowed to be out loose on their own. The list of bad things that can happen is way to long to post here!
DO NOT allow him to be loose UNLESS you are right there watching him to keep him safe and out of trouble.
It is COMPLETELY NOT FAIR to leave him loose and make him suffer the consequences... he could ALSO be gone or, worse, dead!