can a dog pull a muscle

My Cairn Terrier did something last night and now he cannot put weight on his back left leg. It's almost like he pulled a muscle. Can that be?

Asked by Member 1069942 on Nov 11th 2011 Tagged pulledmuscle in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Yes they can. If it's bothering him that much, I would have a vet check him out. Good Luck!

Yep, they can pull muscles & they can also tear ligaments. If he continues see the vet to make sure it is just a muscle & not a cruciate ligament injury.

And,in the case of small dogs and Westies and Cairns, there is also aseptic necrosis, also known as LCPD in small toy breeds, which is the result of a poor blood supply to the femur head and hip during fetal development. It is first observed as marked lameness in a rear leg, usually beginning when the dog is about 7 to 10 months old.
And, another small dog issue would be a luxating patella, which is where the knee cap slips out of the groove it normally slides in.
Both these conditions need a vet to confirm and treat, so if this doesn't resolve within a couple of days definitely get it checked out by your veterinarian.
My vets first diagnosed Harvey with a pulled muscle or an injury. After reading about LCPD, I insisted on an xray and sure enough, his entire femur head had crumbled and collapsed and he needed immediate surgery to stop the pain and allow him to walk again.