can a dog be bathed with Dawn dish soap

Asked by Member 844997 on Jun 11th 2009 Tagged dishsoap, bathing, dog in Bathing

Answers

Lexie

not sure get joy dish soap and it will kill any fleas on a dog or cat. and is safe.

Lexie answered on 6/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Pisces

I work in a grooming salon and we use Dawn on dogs that are covered in grease lol it really helps break down the greasiness. I wouldn't use Dawn as a 'everyday' dog shampoo though. They use it on birds that get in oil spills! If your looking for a basic shampoo try using an oatmeal based shampoo. Helps soothe and moisturize!

Pisces answered on 6/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Xena

I was told when I posted some shampoo questions on a forum to use the blue Dawn cause it was balanced safe for dogs.

Xena answered on 6/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I would not use Dawn or any other dishwashing liquid on a dog. I also wouldn't use human shampoo on a dog.

A lot of people swear by it, but it's very harsh for a dog's skin due to a different pH balance than we humans have.

What doesn't bother us can irritate and cause all sorts of problems on them; everything from conjunctivitus (eye infections) to dry, cracked skin or contact dermatitis, a painful itchy sore rash caused by what amounts to a small chemical burn.

I'd stick with a shampoo and conditioner made for a dog's particular skin and fur

Stormy

As noted above, Dawn CAN be used on a dog, but PLEASE only use it in emergency situations. Like noted, it works for getting grease off of their coats, maybe even skunk smell. But theres a reason they make shampoos specifically for dogs! If you want to use a human "shampoo", use the MILDEST thing you can find, like a baby shampoo. Dawn will strip the natural ESSENTIAL oils out of a dog's coat and may lead to dry skin and dull hair if used regularly.

Stormy answered on 6/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jasper

Sure it CAN be used.. but it shouldn't be. You should use a good quality dog shampoo. You can find them at local pet stores, and the prices are not unreasonable.

Jasper answered on 6/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

♥Blondie 2003-2009

Yes i work at a grooming salon that is what we use but after you use the dawn i would wash your dog 1 more time with mane & tail shampoo it works very well. if u dont have tht kind of soap you can pick any other shampoos its just my preference to use mane & tail. If you need anymore washing details just paw mail me

♥Blondie 2003-2009 answered on 6/22/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer