Lily

Australian Shepherd Tail Docking gone wrong?

About three weeks ago, I picked up an Australian shepherd puppy from a breeder. She is almost ten weeks now.

Now, I have noticed something strange about Lily's tail, that I didn't notice before (it was docked). What is left of her tail, is only about an inch, and there is barely any hair on it. Just some short fuzz. It is basically just a little bone. Also, there is a flap of skin above it.

What do you think happened?

If a picture is needed, let me know!

Asked by Lily on Feb 5th 2013 Tagged taildockingaustralianshepherdpuppygonewrong in Puppies

Answers

Sounds like an amatuer docking job. See your Vet ASAP

It sounds normal IF it was docked late. Most are done within the first three days as the nerve isn't developed at that point, BUT, if it was done later than that she was probably shaved and what you are seeing is the regrowth of hair.
In an Aussie, it is customary to only leave ONE vertebrae so it sounds right. Docking IS cutting it off between vertebrae, you know, and the flap of skin is stitched over the remaining bone.
If you got her from a breeder why don't you ask the breeder??? This is the type of question FOR your breeder as only they know what was done and when and how it was done in your puppy.