Agressive Dog Brhavior correction

Please help!

Iris will be "put-down" this week if I can't resolve this problem. I'm a "Volunteer". Iris came to my shelter 4/6 weeks ago as a stray from the "border". She's apprx. 4.5 years old and has possibly been used to breed. She has physical signs of having "fought" too. She has been spayed before the holidays and was left in "isolation" @ the shelter for recovery over the holidays. I couldn't see her until 2.5 weeks ago. Since then she has developed a REAL aggressive edge toward any/all dogs in the shelter; it seems she "responds" to those and all dogs aggressive to her in a most vicious way! She really doesn't instigate the force, but seems to "respond" to it. She is fine around people, and children [5-8] horses, and vehicles. Even "wiener dogs" from a perspective adoptive family. She plays well, although "Gangly" with other people.
She is a "HOLDER" and unless left too long, 'will wait to "go" outside her pen. Really loves to run/exercise. Ed.

Asked by Member 1154162 on Feb 7th 2013 Tagged dogagressive in Behavior & Training

Answers

I would contact a certified behaviorist and try to get her evaluated. They can give you some instruction on how to correct her. Good Luck!

Unless you have the resources to deal with this, ie a Certified Bevahiourist, there is little you can do. This is the harsh reality of shelters. Unfortunately, money is so tight that tough decisions must be made.
She may have deep-rooted aggression & may be unadoptable. I doubt the isolation made her aggressive. Likely it was always there, but is just showing itself now.
There is no quick fix for aggression. It can take weeks, months, years...sometimes it is never truly fixed.