Awww, look at the face on this poor bull mastiff. This is a dog who had no idea that Brie cheese is actually a sharp cheese. At least it is when you eat the cheese knife along with it.
That’s what happened to 118-pound Bean, who took advantage of her owner slipping out of the room and leaving a cheese plate on the coffee table within snout’s reach. She snarfed the entire wedge of the soft, mild cheese, and with it, the cheese knife that her owner had stuck into it.
Her family realized what had happened when they saw the cheese had disappeared, and rushed Bean to the emergency veterinary hospital. Fortunately, damage was minimal because she swallowed the knife handle first. But wow, look at that X-ray.
“Bean is a very lucky dog because her size, and the position the knife was in when she swallowed it, minimized further damage to her throat and stomach,” veterinarian Mike Pavletic said in an article at BostonChannel.com. The veterinary staff operated and removed the knife. I’m not sure what happened to the cheese, and I don’t think I really want to know.
Bean’s folks say they’ll be much more careful leaving food around her. And who knows? Maybe Bean will think twice before sampling any cheese platters from now on. I mean, that’s a face that doesn’t look like it’s going to forget this lesson. Sure glad she’s okay.