Pineapples are a sweet, juicy fruit that are great on their own, when grilled or when served in fruit salad. Did you know that pineapples are not just one fruit, but rather a group of berries fused together? Fresh pineapples contain vitamins and antioxidants and are a healthy, sweet snack for us humans. But, can dogs eat pineapple? Let’s take a look.
Can dogs eat pineapple? And if dogs can eat pineapple, is pineapple good for dogs?
So, can dogs eat pineapple? Emmy award-winning veterinarian Dr. Jeff Werber confirms that not only is pineapple safe for dogs, pineapple is actually a healthy treat to share with your dogs! But before you feed your dog pineapple, read this first.
How can dogs eat pineapple?
Although dogs can eat pineapple, you’ll want to limit the amount of pineapples your dog eats. You’ll also want to monitor your dog’s response to the fruit. “Dog owners may want to observe once they’ve given their dog his first piece of pineapple to make sure there is no diarrhea, etc.,” Dr. Werber says. This is particularly true if your pup hasn’t had pineapple before.
Can dogs eat pineapple if the skin or core is still on the pineapple?
Dr. Werber says to make sure that your dog does not get access to the pineapple skin or the core, both of which can be harmful to your dog.
Can dogs eat pineapple if it’s canned?
Avoid giving your dog canned pineapple. Canned pineapple and the syrup it’s canned with usually contain a lot of added sugar — which isn’t good for dogs.
Pineapple recipes for dogs
Now that we’ve answered, “Can dogs eat pineapple?” here are a few ways to share pineapple with your dog:
- Sliced pineapple chunks: The easiest way to share pineapple with your dog is to give him small, fresh chunks of skinned and cored pineapple.
- Frozen pineapple: Blend fresh pineapple and freeze it in small dollops for a frozen treat to share with your dog. You can also add organic yogurt to this recipe for a more ice cream-like consistency.
- Pineapple topping: Add small amounts of pineapple to your dog’s dinner as a built-in dessert.
- Baked pineapple: Have a favorite homemade baked dog treat recipe? Consider adding in a bit of pineapple to give your dog’s cookies or biscuits some extra zing!
- Grilled pineapple: Having a barbecue? Throw some slices of pineapple on the grill and share a few with your dog. Just be sure to let the pineapple cool before serving.
Read more about what fruits dogs can — and can’t! — eat on Dogster.com:
Featured Image Credit: Phoenix Han, Unsplash
- Can dogs eat pineapple? And if dogs can eat pineapple, is pineapple good for dogs?
- How can dogs eat pineapple?
- Can dogs eat pineapple if the skin or core is still on the pineapple?
- Can dogs eat pineapple if it’s canned?
- Pineapple recipes for dogs
- Read more about what fruits dogs can — and can’t! — eat on Dogster.com: