Hero Puppy Nudges Family Away from Potential Gas Explosion
It was supposed to be a cozy evening at the Hyde family's home earlier this month. Jason Hyde had turned on the gas in the gas-log fireplace in their Georgia home and the family started putting up Christmas decorations. Unknown to them, as they were decking the halls, the home was filling with highly flammable gas from the open gas line into the logs. No one had lit the fire.
With the gas pouring into the house, any spark could cause a tremendous explosion. And there was also a real risk of asphyxiation. No one realized what was going on. No one but a 6-month-old Boxer named Ollie.
He knew something we didnt know, Hyde told an Atlanta TV station. He sensed something wasnt right.
Hyde said Ollie arched his back and started nudging family members until they figured something was wrong and followed him outside. Only then did Hyde realize he'd turned on the gas without lighting the fire.
How this puppy figured out something was amiss and that the family had to get away from the danger is anyone's guess. And how a puppy knew how to direct the family away from the potentially deadly area is even more unfathomable.
He cared about us enough to get us out, said Sheree Hyde. He was not giving up until we all came outside. We loved him before and obviously we still do, but we thank God for such a smart dog.
Jason Hyde agrees: I just think its cool that God has made a creature, made a dog, as smart as this dog and I am glad to have him."
What a great dog! How can any untrained dog â€” especially such a young dog â€” sense danger, and then do something about it? What do you think happened here, Dogsters?