GO!

Husky tolerance in winter?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Tony

Barked: Fri Nov 19, '10 9:26pm PST 
Hi all. Like most huskies, mine is obsessed with being outside. Most nights I have to pry him into the house for bedtime (he always sleeps inside). I live in Alberta Canada and we are at the beginning of our cold frosty winter. I'm looking for some opinions on what would be considered "too cold" even for a husky. We do get some -30 degrees celcius days which I plan to take him to doggy daycare during my work hours, I personally feel it's way too cold. But again, just looking for opinions as he spends his time outside during my work hours. He currently has an insulated dog house loaded with straw, as well as a heated water dish so that his water never freezes.
[notify]
Embry & Zoey

Selective- hearing? Psh I- just don't care

Barked: Sat Nov 20, '10 12:18am PST 
i wouldn't worry about leaving him out there, Sibes can work and live in temperatures as low as 75 degrees Fahrenheit below zero. I wouldn't do it all the time though, maybe doing to day care thing a few times a week. smile

Edited by author Sat Nov 20, '10 12:18am PST

[notify]
Miko

Snow Dog of the- South

Barked: Sun Nov 21, '10 3:22pm PST 
Although I don't recommend leaving your dog outside unsupervised, ever, to answer your question huskies can tolerate temperatures -60 degrees fahrenheit and lower (especially with straw).

If you can do it, though, I'd definitely suggest letting him spend his days at doggie day care while you are at work.
[notify]

Tony

Barked: Sun Nov 21, '10 4:48pm PST 
well the cheapest that doggie daycare goes for around here is $20 a day.. And that is most definitly unaffordable. I do everything possible to provide him with what he needs . In terms of being alone during work hours.. He is given plenty of things to do ie. Kongs stuffed with snacks and big raw bison bones that he's never once been able to chip even the smallest piece off of (not a big chewer). Of course no dog ever wants to be left alone but I know mine sleeps half the day and entertains himself the rest of the time

Edited by author Sun Nov 21, '10 4:50pm PST

[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon Nov 22, '10 9:46pm PST 
My concern would be the drastic difference between -30F and the 65F or so that most people keep their houses. While Huskies can survive temperatures as low as -60F or -70F, they have to build a tolerance to that sort of cold. They need time to grow in a thicker coat and generally adjust to the ambient temperature - the same way that coming off the 100F heat of summer, I've been wearing sweatshirts since it's been 50F in the mornings. Come spring, when I'm used to the single digit temps of winter, I'll go to work in a T shirt on a 50F morning.

So, my question that I honestly don't know the answers to would be:
Is there any way to build up a tolerance to -30F while sleeping in a 65F house at night?
If a dog has built a tolerance to such cold, do they risk heat stroke in a 65F house? If they're used to the 65F house, do they always risk freezing in the -30F yard?
[notify]
Tony

Barked: Tue Nov 23, '10 6:02am PST 
Valid point Vance. I imagine your right about that. I've decided that anything over -20 celcius will be doggy daycare days. He's been left out under that temp for a couple of weeks now and seems to do just fine. Good ol' winter.. It just can't end soon enough
[notify]