GO!

Kidney diet for hudson

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Hudson

he's one in a- million!!!!

Barked: Wed Aug 18, '10 9:17pm PST 
here are two recipes the nutritionalist came up with for hudson. the 1st recipe is for early renal disease & the 2nd recipe is for late stage:

butter
cheddar cheese
chicken breast
cod liver oil
egg whites
honey
potatoes w skin
safflower oil
salmon oil
hilary's blend
renal dog

green beans
butter
chicken breast
cod liver oil
egg whites
honey
pears
safflower oil
salmon oil
spinach
plain low fat yogurt
hilary's blend
renal dog
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Wed Aug 18, '10 11:57pm PST 
Sounds like a plan! Hope he can tolerate the chicken now. Is the renal dog a special variety of Hilary's Blend?

Sassy got sick and tired of eating just stewed chicken for her protein so now she is getting half chicken and half pork and/or beef. Her needs have gone from 600 to 1000 calories since she has been ill. Guessing you would add in more honey and pears if you needed more calories? Sounds tastier than the glutinous rice Sassy gets. I will have to try her on some honey, maybe she will like it. Not crazy about feeding pure sugar but she is already getting Ginger Cat cookies from Trader Joe and added fats seem to affect her these days.
[notify]
Feather

Just a quick nap- before bed- time!!

Barked: Thu Aug 19, '10 1:44pm PST 
I just checked out Hilary's Blend online and loved the website. I would love to start using it, but I see it can only be bought by a Vet and only in Canada. Is this true?

Hoping Hudson likes the recipes, they sure do look yummy!! How is he doing with his kidney issues? Any progress?
[notify]

Hudson

Barked: Thu Oct 14, '10 12:41pm PST 
the kideny deit has worked wonders!!! hudson had a follow up appt on tuesday where we had his blood & urine tested....according to his recent test his levels are with-in normal range!!!!!!!big grindancingcheer
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Thu Oct 14, '10 1:55pm PST 
That is great news!
[notify]
Hudson

Barked: Thu Oct 14, '10 2:07pm PST 
thanks sassy!!! mommy is super excited & so am i!!! big grin
[notify]
Tucker

Earned my wings- Jan. 22nd

Barked: Sat Oct 23, '10 5:46pm PST 
What are the proportions for the early stage diet?
[notify]
Chandler

Code name:- Farmcollie

Barked: Sun Oct 24, '10 9:10am PST 
Hudson, have you checked out the canine kidney groups on Yahoo Groups?

There are two: K9KIDNEYS and K9KidneyDiet.

I'm betting you could get lots of feedback on diet on that last group.
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Sun Oct 24, '10 1:11pm PST 
The files on K9KidneyDiet have a lot of information on how to figure out what to feed. Dogaware has a lot of terrific information but since I was coming from kibble it was really intimidating to do all the bits and pieces. One thing that really helped me was the box. You need to get enough protein into the dog, limit phosphorus and provide calories.

I wanted at least 44 grams of protein and about 1000 calories for Sassy for instance. Protein is in the chicken and egg white. I could probably give Sassy 16 ounces of chicken and stay below the phosphorus limit. Hers was 11 mg per pound, 484 mg per day. In early days it can be at requirement which is about 20-25 mg per pound. Not enough calories so I add in some butter. Too much fat for Sassy who needed about 30% fat calories so substitute potato at probably 2 ounces of potato to 1 ounce of chicken, darn it. I would probably end up with 6-8 ounces of boiled chicken, 2 egg whites, 1 ounce of butter and 16 ounces of potato or so. The cheese is very high phosphorus and probably a little goodie for being a good dog and taking pills I never gave her cheese for some reason but used peanut butter, liver jerky and canned tripe. The cod liver oil is probably for vitamin A and Omega 3 and probably has loads of calories too. Honey is an interesting idea, I did give Sassy little plain cookies which were a big hit. The other oil, not sure why it is good to use.

It is pretty intimidating so starting with what is important helps a lot. I used a special very low phosphorus rice most of the time and would mix in some pasta, potato or sweet potato for flavor. The meat is most important. Boiled chicken is lowest in phosphorus. I would mix in a little pork, beef or lamb for flavor variety. Without protein body condition gets worse so feed as much as you can. Sassy was getting about 26-29% protein, more than she got on kibble and she kept her muscle mass up so was far stronger.
[notify]
Hudson

Barked: Thu Oct 28, '10 12:29am PST 
these are the approx portions for hudson's meals per day:

chicken (boneless skinless) 10.5 oz per day
white potatoes with skin 12.5 oz per day
egg whites 1 1/4 cups per day
local honey 2 tsps per day
cheddar cheese 2.5 oz per day
butter 2.5 oz per day

because hudson was quite thin i started giving him an additional med size potato per day. he also gets additional cheddar chesse & 1/4 of a pear as bedtime snacks. i am still slowly uping his butter intake as well as he does not tolerate cod liver or safflower oils. we were also instructed to add renal dog, hilary's blend & salmon oil to his meals which we do...hope this helps
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2