GO!

How Much Do Poodles Shed?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Gunner

I solemnly swear- that I am up to- no good

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '07 3:07pm PST 
I have an itch to get another small dog before we get our larger dog when we move to our house.

Just a question

How much do miniature poodles shed? About how much do you pay for a grooming session (nothing fancy, maybe a puppy cut)?

Is there any other small dog that is a 'fluffy dog' that doesn't shed a lot?

I'm trying to convince my hubby to let me get a miniature poodle since I've always wanted one, but didn't know how much they shed... or any other dog that is a 'fluffy dog' that doesnt' shed much... of course I'll probably be getting the dog anyway BOL just wanted to know how much I was getting myself into...

Any other info I'm missing is appreciated

thanks!
[notify]
!~Bella~!

perfect lap dog

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '07 3:32pm PST 
My mom had a miniature poodle for 18 years, & they don't shed, but there is alot of grooming. The groomer around here charges about $3o. You also have to keep up with brushing them alot or they get all matted up. My mom used to trim her poodle in between professional groomings. She especailly kept the hair around his eyes & butt trimmed, & if she couldn't comb out matts she would cut those out also,because they can get bad sores under them. Good Luck my mom thinks poodles are wonderful dogssnoopy They are very smart & loving also.
[notify]
Gracie

Princess Grace,- that's me!

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '07 3:39pm PST 
Actually, all dogs except the hairless breeds. Poodles do shed their hair, but they hold their shed hair, rather then release it onto surfaces.Poodle shedding is more similiar to how we, as humans lose our hair. .The shed hair will turn to matts in their coats if not groomed regularly.

If you really want to maintain them in a fluffy coat and looking flashy, they really need to be done every 4-8 weeks. Prices vary substansially based on where you live, but genearlly anywhere form between $35-$45 is pretty common.

Poodles are a high maintenance breed.
[notify]

Daisy

Mommy's little- princess

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '07 6:36pm PST 
Ya Gracie is right. All dogs shed well not hairless ones. The poodles and what not are actually more difficult because they shed and it just piles up into mats really. So they need to be brushed alot.
[notify]
Missie

Teeth kisses for- everyone!

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '07 9:04pm PST 
You asked about other small non-shedding breeds (lo-shedding if you want to call them that).

Bichon Frise
Shih Tzu
Lhasa Apso
Havanese
Maltese
Yorkshire Terrier
Silky Terrier
Maltese
Coton de Tuleur (sp?)
Chinese Crested

I just pulled these off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more.
[notify]
Winston - 4/19/2003 - 10/8/2010

'Lick a child's- cheek and be- happy

Barked: Sat Nov 24, '07 7:50am PST 
True all, poodles do shed, but like everyone said, it does stay in the coat.
Now if you wanted to try something different...cord your poodle. ::grins:: Then you don't have to worry about all the brushing and combing out.

Karri
Moondance Standard Poodles
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Sat Nov 24, '07 8:38am PST 
I spend about 20-30 minutes a day grooming Addy. Now, if I didn't enjoy doing it, I could probably do it either every other day, or for only 15 minutes at a time, and have her matt-free. But with any "non-shedding" breed, you've got to plan on spending time regularly on grooming.

The flip side of that, though, is that you won't be spending that time vacuuming up fur from the sofa and rug, or using a lint brush on your clothes.
[notify]
Noodles

Barked: Sat Nov 24, '07 6:30pm PST 
just wanted to add here.. be careful using the term "puppy cut" as a lot of groomers have different ideas of what that means. some groomers think its shaving down a dog, others just tidying them up around the face feet and sanitary area. Be very specific about what you want your poodle to look like, what length you want the hair to be left and such. .... cords are awsome by the way! i love it!
[notify]
Daisy

Mommy's little- princess

Barked: Sun Nov 25, '07 11:14am PST 
A puppy cut is just one length all over. Length can very though puppy cut isnt a specific length so you the owner has to specify length. Groomer usually asks the length though.
[notify]
Diesel

if i want it,- it's mine

Barked: Sun Nov 25, '07 1:58pm PST 
technically if a poodle owner asks for a puppy cut that's what they would get. a poodle puppy cut is an accepted clip for show dogs until they are 18 months i believe. basically it is a very long clip with a tied up top knot that flows into the rest of the body along with the shaved face and feet. it's every other breed that there is no actual puppy cut and you run into the problems.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2