March 12th 2015 5:59 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]
We thought we'd have at least a couple months left before the cancer took our Kasey from us, but it didn't. I came home today and found a reddish throw up all over the house, never seen anything like it before. My stepson said Kasey fell down and floundered around trying to get up. When I got home from work Kasey seemed to be getting around OK, but right after dinner the wife took him outside where she called me to look at him. His head was tilted, his one side didn't look like it was working right and he ran crashing into the porch steps. He then just laid there. We decided it was time to end Kasey's suffering. Kasey is now running pain free over the Bridge, we told him to say hi to our babies Buttons & Bows. Until we meet again when it's my turn to cross over, have fun Kasey boy. Until then, I will deeply miss you, you were such a good boy.
March 3rd 2015 1:59 am
[ Leave A Comment ]
In Jan we noticed a bloody discharge coming from Kasey's nose and his amputated toe was inflamed. I took him to the Vet and he was given antibiotics. The Vet said his one nostril was clogged by a possible tumor. The antibiotics appeared to clear up the infection but his breathing was sounding worst, I took him back to the Vet. The Vet said a tumor in this area is typically cancerous. I told him if it is, we don't want him to go through chemo or radiation. He gave us some meds to shrink some tumors, but his kidney function was off, so we had to wait until we got a urine sample first. While I was there I suggested several times to do x-rays so we can see where we're at with it. If it's not cancerous, how can you tell if the meds are doing any good if you don't know how big it is? He just ignored by suggestions.
He was on that medication for about 2 weeks and his snorting and barking were sounding worst. I was checking into places to take him for a 2nd opinion. On Thurs I started a week of midnight shift, on Fri morning the wife left me a note that Kasey was having a hard time walking and she wanted me to go to the ER I was thinking about taking him to for the 2nd opinion. When I got home he seemed to be walking fairly normal, he's been limbing a bit lately but I'm not sure if the icey snow caused it, I took him anyway. The Vet there took lots of x-rays and as she explained them, my heart sank. She explained it is an aggressive cancer that has moved into the entire right side nasal cavity and was breaking into the other side. It was also moving into his jaw. His snout is a little bent from it and his liver is greatly extended. She said even if we spent the $15,000 for surgery, chemo, and radiation, half his face would be gone and it probably wouldn't work. She also showed me that his spine and legs are arthritic, that could be why he couldn't get up. She found one toe out of joint, after she got it back in she said it moved much better and he didn't flinch. He doesn't yet appear to be in any major pain but she gave us pain meds, all we can do is try to make his last days as comfortable as possible.
November 6th 2010 4:16 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 1 person already has ]
Should have added this earlier.
About two moths ago I see Kasey is having trouble with his paw. I look and see his toe nail didn't look right and there was bleeding around it. With a trip to the Vet, they cut the nail completely off and give us antibiotics. About a month later I see the nail is growing sideways instead of straight out of the toe. Another trip to the Vet and he decided to amputate part of the toe. Today he had the stitches taken out so he wasn't exactly a happy camper today. At the pet store I mentioned in the last diary entry I bought boots hoping that that will keep him from messing with it. He managed to pull off everything else we tried. So far, he hasn't tried to pull it off. Haven't received the biopsy report yet.
See all diary entries for Kasey (Sheltie Angel)|