Likes: Sunbaking, going on walks, eating & catching up with friends.
Pet-Peeves: Bush turkeys, being disturbed while sleeping, wet weather.
Favorite Toy: Squeeky Squirell
Favorite Food: Strawberry yoghurt, marrow bones and anything smelly.
Favorite Walk: Evercreech Forest
Best Tricks: Shake Hands, Wave, High Five and Stick 'em Up.
Arrival Story: I have loved the look of Basenjis ever since I was a dog obsessed little girl, and when I saw my first Basenji in real life I was speachless. My husband, who had never heard of a Basenji before was also taken aback and decided that was the dog for him!
After months of research and finding a good breeder I came home from work one afternoon to find he had bought a gorgeous Basenji puppy, all the way from far north Queensland.
Bio: Dam : Mantassi Elsa
Sire : Mantassi Tiger Tim
Full Name : Mantassi Levis
I was tagged!
I was "tagged" by a new friend, Cleopatra. She is the 1 year old, super cute Basenji girl. The object of this game of tag is to learn some more things about your friends. You are supposed to list 7 things about yourself and post it in your diary. Then pick 7 friends to pass it on to and have them do the same thing.
Here are my 7 things.....
1. I really hate the rain (as most Basenjis do) but today I went out in it while Mama fed the Rosellas. I didn't even mind it dripping all over my head as I watched the new chicks come out of their nesting box! Maybe this water thing isn't so bad...but I still got Mama to dry me off with a soft towel when we came inside. And I dried her off too.
2. I have a kids!! That's right; I'm a young dad. My girlfriend Miah used to live with us but now she is back at the breeders house up north where it is nice and warm. We had two puppies together, Azrar (who lives with Miah and is going to be a show dog) and Rune who lives with us!! He's my new bestfriend.
3. Everynight we go a little crazy before bed and I love to run around the house, jumping across all the lounge chairs, sliding around on the wooden floor and digging under the blankets...even when Mama is trying to sleep.
4. I don't like the beach. Mama has taken me there twice and it's not much fun. Especially because I can't run off my leash like Ella and the other dogs there. All that water - ICK!
5. I really love my pawrents, and in different ways. I like to snuggle with my Mama any time. She is funny and placid most of the time. I know I can trust her and she doesn't make me do things I don't want to unless she makes me feel safe. Papa on the other hand is crazy and unpredictable. Sometimes we sit together on the couch but normally we're running around the yard or being silly on the bed.
6. Sometimes I can be dog aggressive. When we go to the dog park Mama worries when other dogs (who get to be off-leash) run up to us. I do have doggie friends though like Rueben, Molly (Ella's sister) and George.
7. I love going to lure coursing. It's a long drive to get there but you have so much fun getting to chase and see other dogs. Sometimes I train with Rueben and we run along together around the course. I have won two first place certificates this year!! We missed a few competition days though...oops.
I don't know what Mama was thinking going for a walk without me this afternoon. She said she would take me by myself when she got home from walking Ella and Miah but that's not what I wanted. I had to stay inside with Papa while they left out the back gate. I could hear them leaving and having a good time. It made me so angry I started pacing the house, jumping up on every thing. When Papa knew they had gone he opened the backdoor so I could go outside, but what he didn't know was that silly Mama hadn't latched the gate properly...which she has forgotten to do before and is normally why she leaves out the front gate.
It took me no time to get to the back gate and I easily pushed it open, running as fast as I could to where I thought they might be. I ran straight past our neighbour and his dog without noticing them!! I got to the cricket stands and couldn't see them. I kept running but suddenly I heard low talking. There they were down the gully, Ella and Miah tied together with their leads (Mama ties their leads together and lets them have a close walk on their own. Ella is obedient and comes when called so Miah follows - they think it's fun, I think it stinks because I have to be held on my leash all the time!!). I started galloping towards them. Mama turned around when she heard the noise of me running so fast and went to grab Ella and Miah. She didn't recognise me and thought I was a strange dog coming to attack! When she saw it was me she started calling to me and lept to catch me, but I was too super fast! Papa came into view at the top of the gully and ran to help Mama catch me. I ran and ran every where I wanted to; no lead to keep me back.
I ran to places I hadn't been before, further across the gully...and I saw a road with cars! I love noisy cars - they are fun to chase. I normally chase them up our fence line but now I could go where ever I wanted! Mama realised what I had just noticed and screamed out my name. She started running as well (and she NEVER runs!!). Papa started running too. I could hear Mama puffing and nearly crying behind me as she saw the cars slow down. They were really big and not as interesting as I thought.
Still running I ran to the left, back down into the off leash dog area. There were lots of other pups there and I went to play with a man and his son who had a tennis ball. Their pups were so much fun and fast like me. We played for a bit and I heard Papa yell to the man to "Grab the red one and don't let go!!!". The boy came over and held me. He was very nice. Papa hooked my lead on and thanked the people. He wasn't very happy with me and I don't think Mama was either when she finally caught up to us, puffing and wheezing with the others tow.
The walk home was a quiet one. Ella was swung over Mama's shoulder because her paws were full of prickles and she didn't have a lead. Miah and I jumped around silly because we wanted to run some more, it was so much fun - but I think my pawrents were tired. When we got home Mama gave me a big cuddle...and has been cuddling me all the time since. She rested her head on my belly and I put my paw on her arm, kissing her cheek because I knew she was upset. She loves me very much, even when she is mad at me. And I love her a lot too.
Here are the Tag game rules:
(hint: copy and paste the rules to post in your Diary!)
Each player starts with seven random facts about themselves. Dogs who are tagged, need to post in their Diary the rules & their 7 pawsome facts. Then choose 7 dogs to tag and list their names. Don’t forget to bark them a p-mail, or send a fun rosette, letting them know that they have been tagged and to read your Diary fur the rules.
1- When I finish my raw hide treat I annoy Ella for hers. I just love chewing things! Normally she will hold it in her mouth and growl at me and, if I get annoying enough, she barks and the treat flies out! I have it down to an art now...
2- There is a bush turkey who some times comes into our yard. I love to chase him; nearly got him one day too! Mama screamed because I took a short cut and got really close but the bush turkey did a quick step and flew into a big tree. It's good lure coursing practice for me.
3- I love my new house. There is a big backyard with a garden in the middle, perfect for a B500 track. When Ella is chasing me, she will stand in the middle of the garden when she gets tired and randomly jump out when I get close enough. I am teaching Miah how to run fast too now.
4- I'm a good cook! When Mama is making dinner I help out by eating any thing she drops on the ground, or any teeny fits of fat she cuts off the meat.
5- My favourite food is chicken! Yummmm
6- I don't have baths like Ella does - I have showers. Papa says I am too big for our laundry tub where Ella has a bath so when I need to be cleaned, I hop in the shower with him. Don't get me wrong, I don't go willingly but it isn't so bad. I'm getting used to it. I can't wait to see Miah get a shower soon!! Too funny - she's all legs.
7- On the last Sunday of every month we pick up my friend Rubin and go Lure Coursing. There is only one other Basenji at our club. I think I am doing ok for my first year. A few of the races have been called off due to the storm season but next weekend is my last chance to get some big points. Wish me luck!!
My pu tags:
1- Blazing Miracle