Close X


Livin The Good Life

The Year So Far...

October 16th 2010 4:06 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

It's been a long time since I've written in my diary (I know - bad Jackson! BOL), so let me catch you up on what's been going on...

This year I have officially retired as a blood donor dog. My retirement was simply due to my age and nothing else. Those are the rules. I would love to continue donating and the hospital staff agreed they would also love for me to continue donating, but per the rules, I have reached the retirement age of 8 years old. So, with a total of 13 blood donations in my short career, I am officially in retirement now.

Over the months I've really had to step up to be there for Mom. She's had it kinda rough this year so far and has really needed me. Mom has attended 3 funerals so far, pretty much every few months - 2 friends and a family member. The first one was for her friend Steve. Mom said he could light up a room with his smile and his booming laugh. Just his presence alone demanded your attention. Whenever I saw him, he always wrestled with me and was just super fun to be around. Mom and I will miss Steve very much. I asked Dutchess & Callie, who also knew him, to watch over him up in heaven. I know they won't let me down.

The 2nd funeral was for Lia, who is the sister of one of Mom's best friends, Chad. I didn't know her, we never got the chance to meet, but I do know and love her brother Chad, so I kinda feel like I knew her in a way. Lia was starting on a great path in life to better herself and the people around her; her sudden death was truly a tragedy. Even though I hear that Lia was one tough, little lady, I asked Dutchess & Callie to watch over her as well.
Both Lia and Steve were way too young to leave this world, especially so unexpected like they did. They both touched alot of people in their short time here and they will never be forgotten...

The 3rd, most recent, funeral was for Mom's great-grandma, Clara. This one the family was prepared for, but it's still never easy to lose a loved one. Mom told me she was 103 years old when she passed, just a few months shy of her 104th b-day. OMD, that's impressive! Mom said she lived a long and wonderful life surrounded by lots of family and friends. Clara had several grandchildren, great-grandchildren and also great-great grandchildren. Not many people can say that, so she was definitely blessed. I never got the chance to meet her, but Mom said she was a super-cool lady, a very old-school type. I was going to ask Dutchess & Callie to watch over her as well, but Mom told me not to worry about her. Apparently Clara's husband Otto was already waiting for her up in heaven. Mom said he was an awesome, awesome man who died too young. She has a few memories of him from her childhood, but not many. But all of her memories of him are wonderful. Mom is happy that the two of them are together again after almost 30 years of being apart.

Unfortunately, I'm not quite done with the sad news. This time I was personally affected as well as Mom. On 10/5 Mom had a vet come to the house (the same vet that came to send Dutchess to the Bridge) to send Pokey the cat to the Bridge. He was 17.5 years old and has been diabetic for the past 5 years, which Mom managed very well. But, the diabetes took quite a toll on him over the years and it was just the right thing to do. It was his time, as Mom said. I was sad to see him go to the Bridge, he was my pal.
I remember when Mom first brought me home to live with her, he was the first kitty that I met. I sniffed his butt while he was laying on the floor sleeping and he spun around so fast that he was just a black blur of hair and paws coming right at my face. And then just like that - BAM! - a stiff paw to the muzzle. I swear Pokey was part ninja - I've never seen a cat move that fast and with no warning! Thankfully, there were no claws, but I was still scared to death! I tucked my tail as far as I could possibly tuck it and hit the floor as if there was an incoming bomb! Then Pokey hissed & growled at me and I shook like a leaf, but didn't dare think of moving from my spot on the floor. It wasn't until Mom started laughing that I realized my shame and embarassment: I had just gotten my butt kicked by a 10lb. cat. So much for the "vicious dog" rap, huh? I immediately tried to make nice with Pokey, never a thought of trying to hurt him (after all he had ninja-like skills) but he was not having any of it. It took me 3 days before I could approach him without getting assaulted. After he finally let me close enough for a sniff, he and I were instant pals. And not a day went by that I didn't remember the power he had in those tiny paws. Nothin' but love and respect for the Pokey Monster, that's for sure!
So even though Mom and I are gonna miss the old kitty, Mom buried him in a nice, sunny spot in the back yard so that we could both go to visit him whenever we want. That makes us both feel better.

Okay, so I'm finally done with the bad news... thank dog! Aside from the sad times, Mom and I have been trying to have fun and just be as normal as possible. Mom takes me everywhere with her that she can, and I love it! I've been totally on my game, listening to Mom and continuing to impress her with my mad skills! BOL (And for that, I have been handsomely rewarded with a new supply of bully sticks! Yummy!!) Twice now I've caught a possum in the back yard, (probably the same one) and each time I have been very gentle with it and didn't hurt it. Each time Mom told me to drop it, I did. The 2nd time she was still in the house when I got ahold of it, so she had to open the window and tell me from inside the house while she got her shoes on. And both times she followed up with the 'leave it' command, and I did! I rocked! She was so proud of me! After she gave me the 'leave it' command on the 2nd possum catching, I actually walked away from it while it was still right there hissing at me! These little creatures are quite fascinating to me, so for me to listen so well in the face of all of that excitement, even I was proud of me! I was smiling my biggest bully smile after those adventures!

And finally, I saved the best for last... Next month is looking to be very exciting. Mom says I'm getting new doggie sister! Yay!! Her name is Tasha and she is 11 years old. She's currently in a foster home in Utah. Mom didn't think she stood a chance of adopting her because we live in WI, but she emailed the foster family anyway, and it turns out that Tasha's foster mom is originally from WI and will be coming here next month to visit family! What are the odds of that?! So, Tasha's foster parents are just going to bring her with when they come to WI so that Mom and I don't have to drive out to UT. How cool is that?! We're both super excited about this and can't wait to meet her! Mom said her foster mom described her as being just like me, but female of course. I LOVE the ladies, I'm so excited!! After Mom emailed with Tasha's foster mom, she said she got a wonderful feeling about this, that everything is going to work out. She said it feels really right to make Tasha a part of our family! YAY!! Good things are coming our way, I can feel it.

Well, I've talked enough in this diary entry so I'm gonna go now. But I'll be back.

R.I.P. Pokey Monster, you were one cool cat. Till we meet again someday...

Wags and Licks,


Leave a Comment

Enter your comment information or log in if you have an account.

Fields marked with * are required

Anti-spam Challenge:
5 + 9 =


Jackson 3/11/02 - 7/28/13


Family Pets

4/4/97 -
11/13/93 -


(What does RSS do?)