March 4th 2008 8:38 am
[ Leave A Comment | 1 person already has ]
We got 3 more ABBEY pupdates I thought we would share. (This is Waverly's GF in TN. She does not have a Dogster page but is gravely ill. We have been forwarding posts from STAFU to her):
Thank you so much for your prayers and concern - I've heard from as far as the UK and Hawaii!! It means a great deal to me.
I am leaving in a few minutes to sit with Abbey until it's time to transport her to the emergency clinic for the rest of the night. She has moved from critical to stable, but her vet will not go as far as to say he is encouraged, only that she's no longer getting worse. It will be a couple of days before we know more, but there are no masses in her chest.
I truly appreciate those of you who have encouraged me, too. I really just kind of went on about my days this weekend, thinking the meds and her age were the culprit for her queasiness. According to Dr. Prior, this auto-immune issue is unheard of; he did say - and was clear to point out it may just be his wishful thinking - that she seemed slightly perkier than this morning.
I do think her condition moving from critical to stable is a half-step of positive - please, as I said before, whether you've ever prayed or not, regardless of who or what you believe, I just ask that you continue saying a prayer on Abbey's behalf. I truly believe He hears them all.
She is so special to me, I am not ready for us to part ways. I cannot wait to hug her!
ONE MORE THOUGHT:
Keep forwarding the original message and/or updates - I don't care if people think I'm a nut for requesting prayers from anyone and everyone. Abbey is absolutely worth any scrutiny of my mental state.
Abbey has Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia (IMHA). If I'm understanding correctly, her body is intent on destroying her red blood cells.
Several things can "launch" this sort of attack. They have pretty much ruled out cancer; it could possibly be some sort of tick disease; or it could be a reaction to a drug. There is a very real possibility we will not know the culprit. There is a possibility that the anesthesia she received last week lowered her resistance enough to cause this to surface.
She is on a very high dose of steroids, antibiotics, fluids, etc. We have taken her to the all-night clinic, where she is receiving a blood transfusion as I type, and will pick her up early tomorrow morning to return her to Murphy Rd. Animal Hospital. She received a couple of units of fake blood earlier today; Dr. Prior had one of his own dogs donate blood, but Abbey's was so messed up he could not determine a "cross-match," I believe was what he called it. He has kept the blood on reserve because chances are very good Abbey will need several. He has also ordered some red blood cells, which will arrive tomorrow from California.
The next 48 hours are critical - if she survives, we have a long road ahead.
Please, I ask for continued prayers and appreciate all that have gone out on her behalf thus far.
Leave A Comment | 1 person already has
I lost a dog on Jan 11, 2007 to IMHA. She got sick on a Monday and by Thursday she was gone. It was the hardest thing I have ever been through. She did receive four blood transfusion but nothing seemed to help her. In the end, I had to let her go. To this day, it's still hard to be without her. About two months later, the lovely pet food recall hit and I found out that my four other dogs and four cats were all sick. Needless to say, it was a very rough year. I'm very sorry to hear that you had to go through a dog with IMHA. I'm not sure if you're dog survived or not...but I do know it's very difficult to watch an animal suffering with IMHA. Best of luck to you!!!