Close X


Life - my typical day - by Oakley

(Page 4 of 8: Viewing Diary Entry 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

Getting stronger

April 25th 2009 10:29 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

Well, here it is 4 days since my surgery. I am feeling better by the hour. Mom has been feeding me with a syringe and special food and supplements from the Dr., she says its smells really good, but I actually think my regular food does, but I just can't eat that yet. This morning she cried (again) when I was crying to be fed, I haven't done that since Sunday night, I always since when its time to eat. I have to tell you, I feel like the luckiest dogo on the planet. My people and my sister love me so much. This pill taking is getting old though, mom knows how much I hate to take a pill. I know you probably think that I'm crazy, but I took my second poop this morning since my surgery, it felt so good, mom laughed because she could see the expression of relief on my face! My buddy Duncan came from next door this morning to visit me, I wanted to play so bad, but I just don't have my full energy back yet, but I know its coming, I nudged him and told him try again tomorrow. Mom, dad and Steven and yes my sister Britania Marie are watching me like a hawk, everyone has been taking turns sleeping on the living room floor with me, they don't want me to be alone, I hate that. Mom is staying home with me tonite, she isn't going to go and watch my skin brother race, she has only ever missed 1 other race, and that was when I had my Mast Cell removed, she says I don't need to be alone, that dad can video everything. Well, Dr. Lori just called, my biopsy came back, it was definately hemangiosarcoma, mom cried of course, but my says I don't have an expiration tag on my toe, we will deal with it one day at a time. Ok, gonna go for now.





April 23rd 2009 6:55 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

I am sitting here not knowing quite how to write this. It is Thursday morning and we were given the horrible news about Oakley Monday night, after spending the day at our vets then being transferred to Valley Emergency for an ultrasound. They told us that his spleen was totally involved his liver and probably all of his vital organs were also affected, they gave us no hope, that he wouldn't make it through any surgery or the night, so the best thing was to have him put down. We told them that without calling our son we couldn't. So we called Steven and told him what was happening, and he said please don't do anything without me seeing him. He was so upset, that he said he would call us back, the vet came back in 3 times asking us if we heard from our son yet, by this time I am so pissed at their attitudes, that I told them we were taking him home, they carried him out to our jeep and we came home, but before we got here, my cell phone rang, it was Valley telling me that I didn't get his discharge papers, and that they expected me to be there the following day to pay an additional $85, I asked them before we left if we owed them any more, my god they wouldn't even take the poor baby into a room before we paid $500 deposit. But I wasn't thinking about that, so I told them I would be there the next day, which was Tuesday. We got home and there was a message from our vet Dr. Jon, he expressed his sympathy about the prognosis and told us that any time that we were ready on Wednesday morning to come up. We called Steven and told him to come home instead of going to Fullerton, which is way closer for him, I was so worried about him driving that distance in the state he was in. We all spent the night on the floor with Oak, loving him and talking to him, trying to get a lifetime into one night. The next morning, we managed to finally come to grips with what was going to happen, we got to Dr. Jon's around noon. We ALL walked in, including Oakley, he was pink like normal and very happy, his little butt was wiggling so fast, the girls went crazy saying thats not the same dog that was in here yesterday, and we all agreed, we went back into the room, Dr. Jon walked in and actually cried, he said thats not a dog at deaths door, I won't put him down until I run some tests, I don't think he is as bad as they were saying. So an hour later, after seeing the x-rays and blood work, Dr. Jon said that (he showed us)the x-rays don't show a cavity full of blood, there is some there, but now what he was led to believe, so he asked our permission to give Oak a chance and operate. He warned us that he is very weak, and might not make it through the surgery, and that after opening him up he would know right away if he has a chance, and if he felt that he was wrong, he wouldn't wake him up. So we agreed, 4 hours later he called us and told us that he had a 3 centimeter nodule on his spleen, which he removed completly, so he has no spleen, and his liver looked a little enlarged, but that was understandable but nothing else was involved. He still had a Hemangiosarcoma, but it is treatable, Dr. Jon feels it was in the very early stages, because of its size, since it is so aggressive.
We brought him home last night, he is so weak, but walking when he has to go potty, and is alert. He won't eat anything, but is drinking. He goes back tomorrow morning to be checked, but my baby is home. I will be forever grateful to Dr. Jon and Dr. Lori, they gave us more time with our baby. I am convinced it was all the prayers and good vibes that has taken us to this point. I really don't know what to say or how to say it, I am sorry but we were ready to let him go, and are so glad that he was given another chance. I came to the group because I knew you would all understand our pain, and your vibes, good wishes and prayers brought him around.
God bless each and everyone who pulled for my baby, we will never forget you. I would answer everyone personally, but I don't want to be on the PC to be away from Oak, I will keep everyone informed as to his progress.

Thank you,


Penny, Oakley and Britania Marie



April 21st 2009 6:15 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

I am sitting here feeling numb. Sunday was a beautiful day here, Oakley and Britania Marie played outside all day, running, rolling around, just had a great day. Yesterday morning I was putting wash in the dryer and Oakley came into me and was wobbling, I immediately looked at his gums, they were white, he sat down then just layed down. My son and I got him to the vet immediately, they did an EKG, blood work and X-Rays. They were stumped, his heart is small, so that ruled out an enlarged heart, then they thought it might be Addisons Disease, they consulted with a Cardiologist, who was also stumped. After spending the day at the vet, he suggested taking him to Valley Hospital who has every kind of specialist know, Oak had been there last April for his eyes. They did an untrasound, which told us the problem, he has a huge Hemangiosarcoma of the spleen and his liver is involved. Given the options that we have, the best time was 1-3 months with spleen removal and a lobeectomy of his liver. After much soul searching we have decided to help him over the bridge today. This is the hardest thing that we have ever done. We brought him home last night, our son slept on the floor with him, he ate a treat around 2 and drank a little water, it is breaking our hearts. He is our heart dog. Our female boxer knows something is wrong, she slept next to him all night. Please say a prayer for him today, he is the best boy ever.


sad day

January 29th 2009 9:14 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

Its a very sad day around here, our sister kitty past over the bridge last night. We've been sticking to mom like glue, we know how sad she is. Whiskers waited for my daddy and brother to get home last night before she would take her last breath, it was just so strange. Mom had been sitting with her for quite a while, she called my skin brother to find out how much longer they would be away, they were in the driveway, so mom told my skin brother to hurry, he came in, a few minuted later dad came in, and there was one more breath, and she was gone. Boy, I so enjoyed chasing her around, now I have only my sister to run after. We will all miss her very much



September 20th 2008 11:20 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

Boy I really scared my mom today. I got her up this morning to go to the potty, she took me and my sister Britania Marie out, we came back in, and went back to bed, mom was tired because our skin brother Steven races on a Friday nite, and they get back late so she came to bed with us. (nice to have someone to lean on), anyway 2 hours later I woke her up rubbing my face on the bed, she sat up, and to her horror my face was bright red, and my eyes were swollen shut and my muzzle was huge. She freaked out, went to the kitchen cabinet and got 3 Benadryl out, she tried to give them to me in a pill pocket, wasn't having that, so she thought she would trick me by giving me a treat then the pill pocket. Nope, that didn't work either, so she resorted to putting them down my swollen throat, which she discovered while trying to give them to me. She called my skin brother out of bed, he said to her that she should give me Benadryl, which wasn't working, so he said they better call the vet and take me, because it is a weekend and they will only be there till noon. Mom called and they said to bring me right up. I was a sorry sight by the time I got there, I looked like I had been in a Boxing match. Dr. Jon knew right away what to do, they put this awful catheter in my leg and infused me with meds, they worked in like 15 minutes to mom's surprise. He told them that there was a bee sting on my lower lip, that I would be fine now, that it was a good thing they brought me in. So mom says it was an expensive bee sting 228 dollars worth, but it was worth it to know I was OK now. So, I am sleeping on the couch all covered up with my skin brother and sister, I just came in to let you all know, what a day!!!!


Best surprise ever!!!!

May 1st 2008 5:21 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

Yesterday was my mom and dads anniversary. Mom was so pleasantly shocked yesterday afternoon when she got a phone call from my girlfriend Remi's mom Sherry in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. They have been friends for over 3 years but have never talked on the phone. They talked for a long time and mom laughed, she was very happy. They met thanks to Dogster. They e-mail each other almost every day but this was just super. I can't thank Remi's mom enough for the happiness she brought to us.



April 24th 2008 5:57 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

Wow where do I start, mom was crying like a baby yesterday after she took me to see the Ophthalmogist, she told us that I don't have Corneal Degeneration, but have Axial lipid degeneration/corneal lipid dystrophy. This will not cause me to loose my sight. The only problem that I will have is at night when lights shine on my eyes. For the past week mom has been crying all the time, she was so worried about me losing my sight because she knows how much I love life. Now she is feeling pretty good, but she has to keep an "eye" on me for ulcers. So if she sees me squinting or rubbing my eyes excessively it back to the specialist.

So we celebrated last night with lots of extra hugs and kisses and my bed time snack was Frosty Paws, yum.

So it a great day!!!!!



April 16th 2008 9:08 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

Well, I had another test done on my eyes yesterday, and they now are giving me a diagnosis, its called Corneal Degeneration. Mom has been crying, she is so worried for me. I go to a special eye doctor next Wednesday to see if there is anything that they can do, mom has her fingers and toes crossed. She said she just can't believe that all of this stuff happens to me. But I did score a new toy yesterday because it was my sister Britania Marie's birthday, but it didn't last long, she took it, the little money, and then she got nasty so mom took hers and mine. We both had Frosty Paws before we went to bed. I am just so worried about my mom, she just loves the both of us so much.

So if every one of my friends could just say a little prayer for me, I would really appreciate it.



VPI at it again

April 15th 2008 7:45 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

Wow, where to start. Mom took me in the beginning of April for my annual, well I got checked for heart worm/lyme, got the booster shots that were necessary and mom thought since I was there, she would ask about the white spots in my eyes, the veggie lady wasn't sure what they were so she did a smear test on my eyes with drops. Well mom got reimbursed from VPI yesterday which floored her, they have never been this quick. Anyway, they didn't pay for my well office visit or the smear. When she called them, they told her that the office visit wouldn't be covered because it was for a medical problem. Now mind you, mom pays extra to have me covered for my annual stuff, which is why she took me to begin with, but since I was there she would have them check my eyes, rather than have another $45 dollar charge for an office visit that wouldn't be covered because it wasn't for my annual visit. Mom says she is getting very mad because the reason I went to the vet was for my annual NOT my eyes. She has little faith in this company anymore since they didn't pay a cent for my sister who was diagnosed with cancer and had insurance through them. They don't live up to their end of the contract. There, I feel better now that I vented, just want to give my fellow Dogster friends a heads up.

Now, after going back for a full round of blood work to try and figure out what the spots are, I am no further closer, so I am going today for another eye test which my vet isn't charging for since she charged mom $116 for the blood test and it didn't tell her anything.

Wish me luck!!!



October 11th 2007 6:34 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

Well, its been almost 3 weeks and mom says its time to share. About a month ago I broke my dew claw, so off to the vet we went, she fixed it all up, but during my exam Dr. Lori noticed that the lump on my side which had previously been needle aspirated and was nothing, looked a little funny, so she did another biopsy and it came back a mast cell. So I was scheduled for surgery the following week. So on the 21st of September I had a total of 3 different procedures, mom had the lump on my left hind leg taken off, before that one too would turn bad and had my gums lasered, I had a mild case of gingival hyperplasia, so I was a hurting boy to say the least. Mom came to get me, I was not walking to well, and when she got home, there was no one here to help her, so she called the police. They were so nice they sent 3 officers over, they got me on a blanket and carried me into the house. Mom cried something terrible, but I felt so bad I couldn't console her, but my sister Britania did. Dad and my skin brother got home a few hours later, they went to the races, my skin brother races his quad on Friday nights, anyway, I pretty much ignored mom all night, but when dad and Steven got home I wagged my little nub, I then knew that I was gonna be OK. After a few days I was OK, even chewed off my bandages, mom had to take me back 3 times!! I don't mind though, they are very nice to me at the vets office. So, now all the bandages are off and I am running again, it feels great, and am cancer free, it was a grade 1, so all turned out well.

  Sort By Oldest First

Oakley - R.I.P - (10-11-09)


Family Pets

Britania Marie


(What does RSS do?)