Welsh Dogster’s probably already have heard this news, but just in case you haven’t you might want to check out this article from NewsWales.
An increase in a tapeworm picked up by dogs which can be dangerous if passed on to humans has prompted a Welsh Assembly Government campaign asking dog owners to speak to their vets about worming.
Hydatid Disease is caused by a tapeworm and can be picked up by humans if they come into contact with dog feces. It is on the increase in certain parts of Wales and is more likely to occur when a dog has been fed or allowed to scavenge on infected sheep carcasses.
Chief Veterinary Officer for Wales, Dr Christianne Glossop, launched the campaign, which is aimed at dog owners and vets to raise awareness of the importance of correct dog worming.
Dr Glossop said: Hydatid Disease is a dangerous disease of humans. The tapeworm that causes the disease is becoming particularly common in dogs in parts of Wales.”
Follow this link to read the rest of the article. Thanks to Citizen Canine for the link to the NewsWales article!