One of my favorite holiday traditions is baking pies, and there’s no better way to capture the spirit of a warm, dog-loving home than with this perfect puppy- themed pie crust. What I love about this “recipe” is that it isn’t a recipe at all. You can use your favorite pie crust and filling recipes or even a store-bought pie and crust! It’s fully customizable to add a little flair to your favorite baking traditions.
What you’ll need:
- Your favorite cookie cutters — dog-themed of course! But hearts and other holiday shapes make great additions.
- Your favorite pie crust, homemade or store bought (no judgment here!). You will need enough for the bottom and to cover the top of your pie.
- Your favorite pie filling
- Follow your favorite recipe for your pie crust and filling.
- Divide dough in half.
- Construct the bottom crust and filling as your recipe instructs.
- Roll out the top pie crust, making sure it is thin, but you are able to pick it up. (If dough is too soft, chill until it’s firm enough to roll.)
- Using your cookie cutters, cut out shapes for the edges and center of your pie. You can get really creative here, covering as much or as little of the pie as you like and featuring your favorite dog breed and holiday designs.
- To make the design pictured here, I used a mix of Dachshunds, mini dog bones and mini hearts around the edge. I then added a variety of dogs — Poodle, Labrador and Schnauzer — for the center.
- Arrange cutouts onto your pie.
- Bake your pie as instructed.
Samantha Meyers is a dog lover, writer, baker, crafter and Instagrammer. When she’s not writing, she’s decorating cookies at her blog SugaredandIced.com or Instagramming her dogs @FrenchHuggs_ and @Quinnstadoodle.
Editor’s note: This article first appeared in Dogster magazine. Have you seen the new Dogster print magazine in stores? Or in the waiting room of your vet’s office? Subscribe now to get Dogster magazine delivered straight to you!
Read more DIY recipes on Dogster.com: