A couple of years ago, Greenie chew treats inspired a great deal of controversy. Reports emerged that Greenies were lodging in the throats of dogs, sometimes with fatal consequences.
A recent report in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association (JAVMA) studied 31 cases in which Greenies became lodged in dogs’ esophagi. Some of the findings of the study are outlined below.
The authors also noted that removal of the chew treats, when possible, was often difficult and complicated.
So, what’s the good news? First, the problems occurred at a very low rate. And, in August of 2006 the manufacturers of Greenies changed the formula of the product. The new formula is more readily soluble (digestible), and therefore less likely to cause harm.
The article cited in this entry is J Am Vet Med Assoc 2008;232:1021-1025.