Dog Leash Blinds Girl
This article comes from News.com.au.
Dog lead banned after blinding girl
A RETRACTABLE dog lead brand was banned nationally today but it came too late for 10-year-old north Queensland girl Louise Hiatt.
Louise lost the sight in her left eye after her Woofaz brand lead snapped back and hit her while she was walking her dog at Cairns in January.
Louise lost her iris and lens in the eye and was left with scarring across her cornea.
“When I saw gooey stuff and blood I said to myself `I hurt it really badly’,” Louise said to the Nine Network tonight.
Despite being rushed to Brisbane’s Queensland Eye Centre, Louise lost sight in the eye.
“Her eye was collapsed. It had no form to it at all,” Louise’s emotional mother Michelle said to the Nine Network.
Consumer group CHOICE conducted tests on the lead after being contacted by the Hiatt family and alerted the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) requesting a ban on the Woofaz lead which sold for just $2.
The ACCC officially banned the lead today.