New Zealand Teen Dies Trying to Save Dog From Fire

How very, very sad! What a good young man! This article comes from the New Zealand Herald. Teenager died trying to save dog from fire...
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Pinterest
Email

Teen Enters Burning Building To Retrieve Dog

How very, very sad! What a good young man!

This article comes from the New Zealand Herald.

Teenager died trying to save dog from fire

The teenage victim of a sleepout fire in Rangiora ignored the pleas of his friends not to re-enter the blazing building to rescue a dog, police said tonight.

Anthony James Chiles-Peart, 17, was spending the night in the sleepout at a friend’s house during a school holiday get-together, when it caught fire at 3.58am today.

Mr Chiles-Peart and two other teenage boys in the sleepout all escaped, but Mr Chiles-Peart went back inside to rescue a small dog.

Detective Sergeant Rex Barnett said the dog had not belonged to Mr Chiles-Peart.

“His friends told him not to go back. Obviously it was fraught with danger.”

Mr Barnett said it was believed the fire was caused by a candle left burning in a Chinese lantern.

There were no suspicious circumstances and the matter would be referred to the coroner.

The get-together had been “just an innocent sort of thing”, he said.

But the occupants of the sleep-out — a converted garage — broke the cardinal rule of lighting a candle and going to sleep.

Rangiora Chief Fire Officer Ross Ditmer said one other person receiver minor injuries from the fire, and the dog died alongside Mr Chiles-Peart.

Follow this link to read the rest of the article.

Get Dogster in your inbox!

Stay informed! Get tips and exclusive deals.

Let Dogster answer all of your most baffling canine questions!

Starting at just
$14.95!

Related

Follow Us

Shopping Cart