Editor’s note: Have you seen the Dogster print magazine in stores? Or in the waiting room of your vet’s office? This article appeared in our April-May issue. Subscribe to Dogster and get the bimonthly magazine delivered to your home.
Spring is here, so celebrate by covering your dog with flowers! Spruce up her collar with these easy-to-make felt flowers. They require no sewing and are the perfect way to change up your dog’s look.
What you’ll need
- 1 to 2 pieces of crafting felt in your favorite color — you can buy 8- by 12-inch sheets at your local craft store
- Hot glue
- Cut a long strip from your felt. For larger flowers cut the felt lengthwise with a thickness of 4 inches. For smaller dogs, cut the felt widthwise with a thickness of 3 inches.
- Fold felt in half.
- Cut ¼-inch strips into the open ends of the felt, being careful not to cut through the folded edge. You will create a strip of fringe.
- Keeping the felt folded, roll the felt lengthwise, gluing with hot glue as you go.
- Cut a smaller strip of felt, about 1 inch wide and long enough to wrap around your dog’s collar plus ¼ inch.
- Create a loop with the felt for the collar, and glue it together.
- Glue loop to the base of the flower.
- Fluff the flower and put on your dog’s collar.
You can have a lot of fun with these and personalize them for your dog. Add additional colors, or make them in different sizes. You can trim them, flatten them or even take it up a notch by gluing a cute button or sparkling rhinestone in the center.