Maybe you’ve already scrutinized all those bags of Diamond Pet Foods products, going over their production codes and sell-by dates with a magnifying glass and diligently discarding all items on the recall list. Yet the saga of the Diamond Pet Foods recalls is far from over. The Missouri-based company expanded its voluntary recall on May 18 to include yet another type of dog food based on potential exposure to Salmonella.
This new recall applies to samples, 6-pound bags, and 18-pound bags of Diamond Naturals Small Breed Adult Dog Lamb & Rice Formula dry dog food manufactured on Aug. 26, 2011.
“The company says it has received no reports of illnesses among dogs who consumed the food or people who handled it,” according to the Kansas City Star.
The food was distributed in Colorado, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, and Wisconsin.
This is the latest voluntary recall in a series that began earlier this spring and has thus far also included batches of Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Adult Light Formula and Diamond Naturals Lamb Meal & Rice.
The latest recall covers the following production codes and best-before dates:
• DSL0801, 26-Aug-2012
• DSL0801, 27-Sept-2012
• DSL0801, 18-Oct-2012
• DSL0801 (samples)
The company says that pet owners who are unsure if the product they purchased is included in the recall, or who would like replacement product or a refund, should contact Diamond Pet Foods via a toll-free call at 1-866-918-8756, 8 am–6pm EST.
The company adds: “Diamond Pet Foods apologizes for any issues this may have caused pet owners and their pets. … Pets with Salmonella infections may have decreased appetite, fever, and abdominal pain. If left untreated, pets may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever, and vomiting. Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans. … Individuals handling dry pet food can become infected with Salmonella, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with surfaces exposed to this product.”