Are you an APBT Person?

Dulce

Bullies Are- The Best!

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '07 12:43pm PST 
Before purchasing your APBT, you must give much thought to the personality and characteristics of the breed to determine if this is the right dog for you. This is not a dog for the laid-back owner who will not give the dog the training and attention that he deserves. In addition, this is not a dog for the first-time puppy owner. This is a dog for the individual who has studied up on the breed, understands its characteristics and is willing to train the dog and give him the time that he will need.

You should consider the following issues before purchasing an APBT:

1. Do you have the time to give to a dog? He will need care, companionship, training and grooming. This is almost like having a child, except the dog remains a child and will always require your care.

2. Do you have a fenced-in yard for your Pit Bull? This is not a breed that you can tie out on the porch or let roam free. He must have a secure area in which to run and exercise.

3. Have you owned a dog previously and did that dog live a long and happy life with your family?

4. Have you checked with your towns offices to make certain that there are no breed-specific laws in your neighborhood? Some communities will not allow certain breeds of dog, and the APBT may be one of them.

5. Understand that your neighbors may not be pleased with your bringing this dog into the neighborhood. Unfortunately, the Pit Bull is not looked upon kindly by many people who do not understand the breed or who have not had contact with a well-bred APBT.

6. Even if this breed requires a minimum of grooming, your dog will require some coat care.

7. Do you have the time and interest to do this?

Are You an American Pit Bull Terrier Person?
Find out if this playful breed is for you.

Page 2 of 2

Lets look at each of these issues, one at a time:

1. Having time for a dog does not mean that you cannot work and own a dog. Your pet will need quality time, though, just as a child does. He must be fed two times a day and exercised several times a day. He needs to be petted and loved, and he will like to go for rides in the car with you. You must work with him and spend time with him to have an obedient dog who has good manners.

Your dog should have at least two good outings a day, and that means a walk or a good romp in the morning and the evening. Never let him out loose to run the neighborhood. This is a breed that may not last long on the street because of the publics negative attitude. Many Pit Bulls are picked up by animal control and turned over to shelters every day.

2. Do you have a fenced-in yard? This should give you at least enough space to throw a ball and for your dog to run with it. Remember, it is your responsibility to keep the yard clean of dog feces. When walking your dog, it is essential to carry a plastic bag or two to pick up droppings. These can be easily dropped in a handy trash receptacle on your way home.

3. Have you owned a dog previously? This will give you a good idea of what a dog expects from you and what you must do for your dog. Since the APBT is one of the strongest dogs in the canine world, you must be able to handle him. In addition, like other terriers, the Pit Bull is smart and needs an owner that is smarter than he is!

4. Be sure to check with your town or city and find out if there are any anti-Pit-Bull or other breed-specific laws for your area. If your local council has banned certain breeds in the area, you can be almost certain that this ban will include the Pit Bull.

5. You should talk to your neighbors about adding an APBT to your household. Give them some information on the breed and reassure them that you are purchasing a sound, well-bred puppy from a responsible breeder.

6. Grooming is minimal with this breed, but you will need to go over him with a brush, trim his toenails, wash his face once or twice a week, keep his ears clean and give him a bath as needed.

7. Anyone considering APBT ownership must enjoy keeping active and be willing to spend time participating in activities with his dog. It doesnt have to be all structured; the APBT is a playful animal that will enjoy just goofing off with his owner. That being said, in order to fully enjoy activities together, the dog must be well trained and well behaved. The owner must make a commitment to his dogs training so that his APBT is a mannerly and reliable dog around everyone. You cannot take a chance with such a strong breed; added to that is the publics generally negative view of the Pit Bull. If your APBT is a good canine citizen, not only will you have a wonderful relationship with him but you also will be presenting the breed in a positive light.

American Pit Bull Terrier Overview
Is this playful breed for you?

American Pit Bull Terrier Puppy1.The APBT person has carefully considered all of the pros and cons of APBT ownership and is sure that he can raise his dog to be a model canine citizen.

2. The APBT person has time to exercise, care for and train his dog, and can provide ample accommodations.

3. The APBT person is a responsible dog owner and wants an APBT for the right reasonsnot for protection, aggression or fighting. He will train his dog reliably and promote the positive qualities of the breed.

4.The APBT person makes certain that his dog is safe at all times.
Petey

Drool - It bring's- treats!

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '07 3:45pm PST 
Yes! I am an APBT person and proud to be onedancing
Dulce

Bullies Are- The Best!

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '07 3:48pm PST 
Me too! cheercheerdancingdancingsnoopypartyparty

Angel

I'm a licker not- a biter!!

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '07 4:26pm PST 
I am too!!! cheerapplause
Gromit

I'm- Labradorabull

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '07 7:47pm PST 
Man the part about likes to go in the car. Whew. Gromit is 16 weeks old and can now jump into the Jeep on his own and when we come home, if we leave the door open on the Jeep there he is in the seat wanting to go.
We do not have a fenced yard, but we do live in the woods and watch his every move. Shoot unlike right now where he was chewing a foam pad for the extra bed, when I thought he was chewing his bone.shock
I love my bully mixes, they are the best.applause
Sienna, NPC,- CGC

Adopt a homeless- dog

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '07 7:54pm PST 
We were not really ready when we got sienna. we since we loved her so much, we did some research and got some tools to make it work. wish we had this group back then!

big grin
Howard

Tail Waggin'- Mutt

Barked: Mon Oct 24, '11 5:31pm PST 
I love APBT's, they are great dogs. I am definitely, 100% an APBT person.
Hercules

hercules fame- boy

Barked: Fri Jan 27, '12 5:35pm PST 
I love these dogs !!! They are the best. Anyone here watch pitboss?
Thats where my love for pitbulls came.
Howard

Tail Waggin'- Mutt

Barked: Fri Jan 27, '12 9:36pm PST 
Hercules, I love "Pit Boss", it's one of my favorite shows.