Harry Potter Nerds?!

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Gio

CD RE (CKC)- RXMCL (CARO) FM- CGN SJATD

Barked: Mon Feb 12, '07 2:53pm PST 
Finally, a venue that I can vent my hugest secret obsession ...

My name is Dayna and I am addicted to Harry Potter

Yes, I am nearly 23 years old ... but I'm hooked! I started reading them 2 summers ago when I was working part time during school at a fast food place. One of the other girls that worked there (she was 25 at the time) was talking about it and I responded with "Pfft Harry Potter? You mean that kids' book? You read those?" ... She convinced me to go and buy the first book ... I finished it that evening and made it back to the bookstore before it closed to get the second book big grin

Since then, I've read the series-so-far at least a dozen times. laugh out loud Love it love it love it!

I'm not a Shipper and don't hang out in the HP forums and blogs, but I do check Leaky Cauldron every day and pay close attention to JKR's website. I do have a counterdown on my page for the book 7 release date and I have pre-ordered. But that's all ... really ... so it could be worse, right? haha

Even if you there are no HP nerds here, I know you guys won't judge me ... at least not to my face laugh out loud
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Mon Feb 12, '07 3:32pm PST 
My name is Jamie and I'm a Harry Potter Nerd too. And you shouldn't be embarrassed about your age and being a HP Nerd. I'm going to be 25 this summer. wink

My friend got my the first movie for my Birthday. Before I saw it, I was all "Pfft. Harry Potter. Stupid fad." Then I was hooked. I started reading the books. I caught all the movies in the theater. In 2005, I got to see the fourth movie at an advanced screening through work (sponsored by Bayer!). I was on Cloud 9. cloud 9 Even better that the fourth movie is the best thus far (the third book is my fave but the movie fell short of my expectations). I can't wait for "OotP" this summer. And for the final book too. big grin
Gio

Barked: Mon Feb 12, '07 4:16pm PST 
GoF was my favorite book so far. The movie didn't quite live up to my expectations ... but i didn't really expect it to big grin

I wasn't overly impressed with book 6 ... I enjoyed it because it was a continuation of the story I have come to love so much ... but whenever I re-read it, I get bored before they even reach the cave and end up going back to book 1 and starting over before even finishing BOL

Fudge

How can I be- this cute?

Barked: Mon Feb 12, '07 9:35pm PST 
I love Harry Potter! I started reading it when GoF came out (though obviously I read them in order). I also love the movies, though they are certainly different from the books.

I went to the midnight showing in IMAX for the GoF movie, as well as the midnight release of the HBP book at Borders. I plan to do it again for both the movie and book this year, though I'll probably be doing it in Iceland since I'll be visiting my boyfriend. I guess that means I'll get an British English copy of the book! smile
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Tue Feb 13, '07 12:22am PST 
I loooooove Harry Potter. I can't wait until the last book comes out.

I got into it slowly... it started as pleasure reading and then for books 4, 5, and 6, I got them on the day of release, couldn't sleep all night anticipating the purchase in the morning, and then didn't sleep until I finished the book, etc.

My question of the day:

Did Snape really kill ... you know? Or do you think it was a set up?
Gio

Barked: Tue Feb 13, '07 6:49am PST 
I think he really killed him. I have a huge theory on this one ... anyone afraid of book 6 spoilers, not read book 6 yet?? I won't get into it in public if people don't want me to big grin
Fudge

How can I be- this cute?

Barked: Tue Feb 13, '07 7:25am PST 
I've read book 6, so I'm willing to hear theories! smile
Storm

Silent Observer

Barked: Tue Feb 13, '07 7:44am PST 
Just poppin' in to say that I, too, loves me some Potter. When I heard about the first book I knew that I'd really get into the series, but I didn't start reading until the third book came out. Now I'm a little behind (I rush-read the fifth book and haven't read the sixth one yet!), but am planning on catching up in time for the last book.

Since theories are going to start, I'm going to leave this thread be until I read the sixth book (don't worry - some idiot spoiled it for me months ago). Now, though, I have some incentive to read it - I want to be in on the conversation!
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Tue Feb 13, '07 8:17am PST 
I agree, the sixth book wasn't as good for me either. I couldn't put "OotP" down but had no problems putting six down for a day or two. "PoA" and "OotP" are my two favorites.

And I'm willing to discuss theories about book six. I do believe he is dead. But that there are likely alterior motives and such. smile
Gio

Barked: Tue Feb 13, '07 10:19am PST 
Okay, seeing that Storm is going to leave this thread be until she finishes book 6, and the rest of you have already read it ...

I think Dumby is dead. Definately dead and gone and rotting in the ground ... not going to come back or appear as a ghost or any of those other crazy theories floating around. JKR wants Harry to battle Voldy on his own ... no help ... he's gotta be the one to kill him. And there is no way that he could do that if Dumby is there holding his hand. And no way that Dumby would put Harry in a position like that all alone if he might die ... he's got too much love for the boy now.

Remember in book 6 where Hagrid overhears Dumby and Snape arguing in the forest? Hagrid thinks that Dumby and Snape are just mad for some minor reason. But says that Snape is wanting to "back out of" whatever deal they had going before. My theory is that Snape told Dumby he made the unbreakable vow about Malfoy (maybe Dumby even knew about it before hand?). Dumby knows he has to snuff it, no big surprise to a guy that has been going down hill all year. He tells Snape to keep pretending as if he is on Voldy's side of things and if that means following through with killing Dumby to hold to the unbreakable vow, then so be it. Snape would be more use to the Order as an insider than Dumby would as a broken down wizard on the outside. Snape is probably arguing that he doesn't want to kill Dumby and that Dumby is more use than he ever would be, etc. etc. and that is why Dumby gets mad at him. "Just kill me already!" Kinda thing.

So now fast forward to when Harry and Dumby get back from the cave and are confronted by Malfoy. Snape comes charging through and Dumby gives Snape a pleading look. Most people assume that it is a "Please Snape, don't kill me" look ... but I think it is a "Please Snape, live up to your end of the deal. Do what I asked you to do and kill me." look.

There has to be some devious plan that only JKR knows about and I really think it has something to do with the argument that Snape and Dumby have in the forest that Hagrid briefly mentions. Why mention something like that if it doesn't mean anything, right?

Anyways, Dumby does know a lot of stuff that Harry has to figure out ... so I am thinking that Dumby will be an information source through his portrait in the Headmaster's office, and who knows where else he will have a picture ... that guy did everything! I also think that Fawkes will play a protector role and sort of transfer over to Harry now that Dumby is gone.

So that is my theory on THAT part! There are more theories ... there always are big grin Let me know what you think!
  (Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8