Went to PetSmart Last Night....

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Dulce

Bullies Are- The Best!

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '07 3:35pm PST 
And I am SO disappointed with the lack of HEALTHY TREATS they have.

They have NOTHING! Everything has corn, wheat, gluten, sugar, and JUNK! shrug

I'm just so disappointed that I can't ever find real healthy, yummy treats for Dulce.

Although I do have the sweet potato chews, and give her Natural Balance raw rolls for training treats, I still like to occassionally give her snacks.

And after all this, I remembered...I make dog treats that are healthy! A year ago I started making them, and I even made some money!

All there is in them is peanut butter, chicken broth, and flour! So I'm going to start making them again!

Just wanted to share! cheercheer
Zoe

Pistol Pak'n- Pete and her- big, big pants

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '07 3:46pm PST 
That is why I was sad that Cali Feed went out of business. Also they stayed open late the night that we got Sooke.
My wife makes the dogs treats all the time. She has three or four books for dog treats. Let me know if you would like recipies posted or sent to you.
The greatest thing besides the natural roll are Charlie Bears. Good ol' Trader Joe's.
Petey

Drool - It bring's- treats!

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '07 3:49pm PST 
I know what you mean about unhealthy treats. I can find healthy ones but man are they expensive. We tried a new one called Plato's Smart Treats, they have salmon, chicken and duck flavor. My dogs love them but they are 13 to 14 dollars for a 1 pound bag. I make them last a long time by breaking them up into small pieces but can't afford to buy them to often.

Have you ever tried Gio's recipe for Fishy Fudge ? I made it just last week and my dogs love them.

Petey

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '07 3:54pm PST 
Gio's Fishy Fudge

List of Ingredients

2 cans of tuna in water

2 eggs

1 teaspoon garlic powder, optional

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Instructions

Put the tuna (don't drain it, include the water too), eggs and garlic in a blender. Blend it until it is all combined. If you like it a bit chunkier, then don't blend as much, but it is easier to mix if it is nice and smooth. Pour into a bowl and mix in the flour, it should be the consistency of putty so add water or flour until it feels about right. Grease an 8x8 glass baking dish and press the dough in. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes. Take out the dish and cut into ~1 inch squares. It will still be sticky and a bit goopy so leave it in the dish and put back in the oven at 350 for another 15 minutes. Take out of the oven and cool for a few minutes before removing from the dish and breaking into your precut squares. Let cool on the counter then store in the fridge in an airtight container.

The garlic is listed as optional because some people worry about garlic toxicity. There isn't much in these so it really isn't a problem, but you can leave it out and it won't really change the recipe much.

If you store them in a plastic container (tupperware, gladware, old margarine container) they will last in the fridge for over a week. But make sure they are good and cool before storing them or the condensation makes 'em slimier faster BOL

I like that they are soft and easy to break apart, so I use them for training. They can be broken into pea-sized chunks and still stink to high-heavens so are awesome for training!
Petey

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '07 3:56pm PST 
Homemade Frosty Paws

List of Ingredients

1 quart plain or vanilla yogurt

1 banana or 1 large jar banana baby food

2 tablespoons peanut butter

2 tablespoons honey

2 tablespoons carob powder (optional)

Instructions

If using regular banana mash well....mix all ingredients until well blended (you could use a food processor or blender). Place into ice cube trays or small bathroom sized cups and freeze. Once frozen you can store in freezer in plastic bag. The great thing is you can play with recipe and add stuff that your dog likes. I use the carob powder or carob chips. Some people add granola to theirs.
Petey

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '07 3:59pm PST 
Marlowe's Liver Treats

List of Ingredients

1 pound beef liver

4 eggs

1 cup all-purpose flour (whatever kind your dog tolerates best, wheat, corn, oat, spelt etc...)

1 tablespoon garlic powder

1 tablespoon kelp powder (optional, but stinky!)

Instructions

Puree the liver with the eggs. It helps if you take some scissors and cut up the liver into small pieces first. Gross? Yes. Anyway, puree it and then mix in the flour, garlic and kelp. Spread it onto a large greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Let it cool then cut into small squares. They can be frozen pretty much indefinately. I filled a gallon ziploc with them, and keep them in the freezer and just take out a handful at a time and keep those in the fridge.
King

King

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '07 4:07pm PST 
Healthy and Tasty dog treats.

Plato Pet Treats

Zukes Mini Naturals

Innova Health Bars
Angel

I'm a licker not- a biter!!

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '07 6:25pm PST 
Thanks for posting the recipes, I am going to make some doggie treats for Angel now. snoopy
Dulce

Bullies Are- The Best!

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '07 6:50pm PST 
THANK YOU GUYS!!

Anything with salmon, duck, or any kind of fish? (other than Tuna?)

Well, I'll look thru them and adjust them to my liking.

THNKS AGAIN GUYS!! THIS IS THE BEST THREAD EVER!

snoopycheercheercheercheerdancingpartypartyapplausehailhailhailhailhail
Petey

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '07 7:22pm PST 
I bet you can use salmon in the Fishy Fudge and possibly in the liver treats too instead of liver.
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3