Harry Potter Nerds?!

(Page 7 of 8: Viewing entries 61 to 70)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Sun Jul 22, '07 8:23am PST 
... been quiet lately... ya'll reading? smile

I sorta noticed one thing in the book... without giving away any plot, on page 74, someone says "Thank God!" (top of p 74). Do you think this is Rowling's somewhat subtle response to that whole some Christians accusing her of being anti-God fiasco?

I dunno.. I just noticed and I don't recall noticing something like that before.
Brody

The best things- come in little- packages

Barked: Mon Jul 23, '07 7:41am PST 
I borrowed the first book from my friend so I'm going to start reading pretty soon! I'll probably get to book 7 in about 3 years.
Fudge

How can I be- this cute?

Barked: Mon Jul 23, '07 11:57am PST 
I finished HP7 last night/this morning (read until 7 AM!). smile

Mocha Bear- (Mokie),- VGG, KPA,

CEO of Rewarding- Behaviors Dog- Training

Barked: Tue Jul 24, '07 7:08am PST 
OMG...I only have 200 pages left.

Maybe I should take a half a vacationd day....
Winnie

Anything you can- do I can do- cuter!

Barked: Tue Jul 24, '07 9:19pm PST 
I finished a couple hours ago (I was out of town the whole weekend and only began it this morning!)

I'm so sad that it's all over confused
Brody

What's in it for- me?

Barked: Wed Jul 25, '07 11:15am PST 
Hi everybody, long time no see. I finished HP on Sunday morning, and I can't wait until you're all done so we can talk about it. I'm also sad that it's all over but it was a great ending!
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Sat Jul 28, '07 5:48pm PST 
yes... great ending...
Gio

CD RE (CKC)- RXMCL (CARO) FM- CGN SJATD

Barked: Thu Aug 2, '07 9:58am PST 
Snowy, I noticed that right away too ... the "God" thing. There were a few mentions of stuff that was subtly religious. I can't remember the parts exactly, but when Harry (I think it was Harry) said "Oh God" that really stood out for me.

JKR has gone out of her way to avoid all things religious in her books. There is Christmas holiday and Easter break ... but they are only mentioned as far as presents, feasts, and holiday time goes. Even the wedding was as non-religious as a wedding can be.

But yet there are arguments for direct comparison between HP and Christianity. In one interview (can't remember where) JKR was asked about her religious background and reveiled that she is deeply religious and her beliefs do play a role in how she writes. But she then went on to say that if she discussed her religious beliefs any further it would be too obvious to guess what happens in book 7. So of course, after reading I started trying to figure out where Christianity would fit into the whole HP story. Granted, I'm not a religious person in the leasts, but I've attended enough Catholic elementary and high schools to know a bit about the stories involved.

I don't know if other people are still reading so I don't want to start an indepth discussion of comparisons at the risk of posting spoilers. But it's something neat to mull over big grin

Of course, there are not only religious comparisons in HP, but people have gone so far as to try and compare the story lines to tales of King Arthur or stories by Dickens. I will not pretend that I understand those comparisons, though. I sheepishly admit that I have never read anything by Dickens.
Brody

The best things- come in little- packages

Barked: Thu Aug 2, '07 11:03am PST 
I'm on page 150 of book 1. Darn it! I have a long ways to go to catch up with you guys big grin

Gio - if you have seen the movies or plays to anything Dickens, you would probably be able to figure out what plot lines they are talking about. Like Great Expectations (LOVED that movie with Gwyneth and Ehtan Hawk, A Christmas Carol, Oliver Twist, Nicholas Nickleby, etc.
Fudge

How can I be- this cute?

Barked: Thu Aug 2, '07 10:03pm PST 
Gio: The Christian themes were very obvious to me (though not religious myself, I went to Christian schools almost my whole life). Maybe we should start a new thread for HP7 spoilers?
  (Page 7 of 8: Viewing entries 61 to 70)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8