Harry Potter Nerds?!

(Page 4 of 8: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Thu Feb 15, '07 12:55pm PST 
To summarize my animation professor: "Everything has been done before. You just have to do your own take on it." My coworker, who also went to CalArts ends the quote a bit differently: "So steal from the best!" Still, it's the same basic idea. big grin

There are no new ideas. As has been stated. wink
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Thu Feb 15, '07 3:12pm PST 
Of course I'm not a professional writer... (and my writing style sucks actually), but IMO, JK Rowling isn't the BEST writer I have seen. She has interesting ideas, wonderful imagination, and she is awesome at story telling... but I don't think her writing style moves me.

There have been books where I read and re-read certain sentences or paragraphs because they are written so beautifully... and you can tell just by reading those sentences that only those who have that stroke of genius can come up with a description as elegant or beautiful. It's hard to describe... but someone can write down what this one person did for the span of 5 minutes.. and it might be something as mundane as lighting up a cigarette .. but by describing how exactly this person exercised this mundane activity, you can tell that that this person is nice, evil, or short tempered, trustworty, etc... With JK Rowling's writing, everything is written for you.. she uses a lot of adjectives and adverbs and pretty much tells you whether or not you should like that person. But hey... that doesn't mean I don't like Harry Potter any less.. plus.. it is a children's book, so I guess you can't be too subtle with children's books.

Edited by author Thu Feb 15, '07 3:12pm PST

Brody

The best things- come in little- packages

Barked: Fri Feb 16, '07 9:25am PST 
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Its written well for the masses - its easy to read, keeps people entertained (most people anyways), etc.

My favorite writers are more poetic. There was this guy who wrote short stories and poetry and I thought he was amazing, but now I forget his name. My ex-boyfriend is the one who introduced me to his writing, but there is no way in hell I'm contacting him to find out what his name was wink I just keep hoping I'll stumble across it someday.

Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Fri Feb 16, '07 9:37pm PST 
Risa... what you said just sorta reminded me....

a while ago.. I think.. this was in the 1800s sometime... this big shot scientist at the time said something to the extent of "Everything that needs to be discovered/invented have already been done. Everything else is just a matter of getting into details of things" I should dig up and find the name of the scientist and the exact words he said...

Of course, 200 years later, we know that this is not true. We have found a LOT of other things, and there's probably ore things to be discovered/invented. smile

It's just amusing to see that history sort of repeats itself. A lot of people believe that we're so high tech and have library of awesome ideas and we know everything there is to know already. I bet 200 years from now, people will look at us and laugh wink

Edited by author Fri Feb 16, '07 9:42pm PST

Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Fri Feb 16, '07 9:39pm PST 
BOL Brody.. well having said what I said, I'd be more than delighted to write half as well as JK Rowling. big grin
Brody

Barked: Tue Feb 20, '07 7:03am PST 
Have you guys ever seen Lady in the Water? This might spoil parts of the movie for you so don't read it if you want to see the movie, but a lot of the movie is about stories/plots/characters and one of the characters is a writer and SEEMS to know everything about stories/plots/characters but it turns out he doesn't know as much as he thinks he knows and at one point, he says "there are no original ideas." So what the movie was really trying to say is that there ARE still original ideas.

That probably wasn't a good explanation of the scenario, but it made me think of this discussion.
Brody

Barked: Tue Feb 20, '07 8:51am PST 
OMD! I just found the writer I've been trying to think of. I did a huge internet search. I can't believe I found it.

His name is Richard Brautigan. Yea!!!
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Sat Feb 24, '07 9:54am PST 
I got curious and looked him up on wikipedia. He killed himself, and they found his body a month later in his house? frown poor guy....

but now I want to read his stuff... big grin
Gio

CD RE (CKC)- RXMCL (CARO) FM- CGN SJATD

Barked: Sat Feb 24, '07 3:20pm PST 
Finally got my pre-order in for book 7!!

dancingsnoopydancingsnoopydancing

I've been trying for the past while but apparently they people at my book store are idiots and no one could figure out how to do it! BOL
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Sun Feb 25, '07 10:47pm PST 
woohoo good job!

I'm not doing the pre-order thing this time around. I tried it twice with amazon.com the past two times, and they failed to deliver on time. I ended up grabbing the books on both accounts from a local book store on a release date and canceling the amazon order, but the hassle is not worth it.... even when Amazon.com did apologize and passed out gift certs.
  (Page 4 of 8: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8