GO!

Possible gastric problems?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Kane

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 6:06pm PST 
Kane is 4 months old now. I got him when he was 7 weeks old. Since the day I got him, I've noticed he tends to have to try a few times before he can poop. I had him on Wellness Core and his stool was just very loose. I switched him to Blue Widerness and it seems to have hardened up some but it's still loose for the most part. I think he also has frequent tummy aches as he cries a lot but stops crying if you rub his belly. I've taken him to the vet more than once about it and both time they said there is no sign of worms and prescribed him an anti biotic and anti-diarrhea. They did absolutely nothing except constipated him. I just bought a Probiotic for him at PetSmart and I'm hoping it'll help. But any thoughts or advice on the situation would be greatly appreciated!
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 2:00pm PST 
I avoid Blue foods because several GSD owners I know and several more I have been put in touch with have reported digestive issues with it. I actually had a pup I placed returned for stomach issues that never reappeared after I took her off Blue. As a breed these dogs are prone to tummy trouble and it can take a lot of playing around with their diets to get it right. I would go with a limited ingredient food until his tummy settles. Remember it can take several weeks to adjust to a new food and it should be introduced slowly. If you post in the main forums you will probably get more responses.

I'm going to get yelled at for suggesting this, but when I take dogs with stomach issues I always put them on Pedigree for a while. I am aware that there are better foods, but it seems to work to get there tummies on track and then I can go from there. I know someone will suggest raw feeding but since I know a lot of people can't afford it, I won't.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 8:42am PST 
Aw Sabs, I won't bark at you..we always say you gotta go with what works best.smile
That being said..if you bought a decent probiotic you should see improvement in less than a week. I use Prozyme with Squam. He has that delicate tummy that many GSDs have. I had to lower his protein..went from Orijen to Acana. He couldn't take the Orijen.
[notify]

Sparty

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 3:43pm PST 
They sure do have sensitive tummies....my guy was on Wellness Core for a while too and still have runny poop. Now he's on Natural Balance Venison (allergic to chicken) and he has done wonderful on it!! I will always feed him the Natural Balance...maybe look into it?? But, yes, you do have to do what works for you dog...good luck!
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 11:48pm PST 
Wow! Look at all you beauties. I feel ummmm...... odd?

Do you know that in a few hundred GSDs I've never pulled a white?
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 7:58am PST 
Sabi..my first white I got from a shelter back in the 90s. I have never seen one since..in Canada. Sadly I see tons being listed in the States these days.
[notify]
Lexi

Barked: Sun May 26, '13 2:31pm PST 
I used to feed Lexi Blue Buffalo's Blue Wilderness line. She liked it and I liked feeding it to her, but sometimes she'd have these God-awful smelling farts as a result of the food. Her poop always looked good though.

-Elizabeth
Lexi's Mom
[notify]
Egypt

Can I play with- the ratz?

Barked: Sat Jun 8, '13 10:47pm PST 
I've been feeding my GSD raw since she came into my life. She was 3 months old. She's now 2 years old and has never had a negative reaction to her food.

I've read quite a bit about the Prey Model diet. In my readings, it seems ppl whose dogs have had poor reactions to kibble foods, did better on raw. ??? But i'm not a scientist!
[notify]
Coco

Coco-Loco

Barked: Mon Sep 2, '13 6:29pm PST 
We have gone thru a lot of ups and downs with Coco and her digestive issues. We have found that feeding her at the same time each day and we give her Bill Jack for large breed, sensitive stomachs seems to work. Also, we don't give her a lot of treats, we purchase the treats from Dr's Foster and Smith which are the duck jerky strip, but it sure was a learning curve
[notify]