Not a Myth, Buster

 |  Apr 15th 2009  |   2 Contributions


Since this is a dog blog, a couple times a month our boy Bo (woof!) thought it would be nice to get the news through a dogs eyes. When Bo decides to share his thoughts youll always see the tag Bo Knows. Okay Bo, take it from here

Whats white on the outside, yellow on the inside and in abundant quantities this time of year?

Its eggs sillyand the type we canines can partake in.

Dont be fooled by cheap imitations. Take the Cadbury Egg for instance, which is yellow on the inside, but a discolored brown on the outside. Sure it tastes sweet, almost too sweet, but instead of pumping you full of life, it will suck it out of you.

This makes me wonder how many Cadbury eggs Cool Hand Luke could have eaten. Certainly not the 50 real eggs he downed with the help of his friend, Dragline. My guess is hed max out at 17 before a sugar coma put him out of commission for a 72 hour nap.

One thing is for sure, thered be no way he could tar a country road for the Boss the next day.

And thats the effect on Cool Hand Luke! Imagine what it could do to a poor old dog like you.

OK, Im rambling on like my mother. Were talking eggs so let me serve you up a cautionary tail (you get it?) for all the Easter Egg loving canines out there.

The five-stone pooch ended up with chocolate poisoning after wolfing down a stash of chocolate eggs which he found hidden away in his owners spare room.

Five-year-old Buster had to be taken to animal hospital where he was admitted to intensive care after devouring 12 eggs and their foil wrapping.

Busters owner, Brenda Dawes, bought the eggs as Easter treats for her grandchildren.

She said: When I arrived home one afternoon, Buster came down the stairs, wagging his tail and licking his lips. I knew immediately hed been up to something.

Hes a terror and chews everything he gets his paws on - mobile phones, video tapes, the remote control.

At first, Buster did not appear to be affected by his binge. However, Ms Dawes was woken in the early hours of the morning by the pets cries.

He couldnt stand up, his back legs just kept buckling underneath him.

His stomach was swollen and he was obviously in a lot of pain. Panicking, I called PDSA and they told me to bring him straight in.

Ms Dawes immediately took the dog to animal charity PDSAs PetAid hospital, near her home in Derby, where he was treated with fluids and kept in for round-the-clock observation.

Buster made a full recovery, but his ordeal has prompted animal welfare officials to issue a pre-Easter warning to anyone who keeps hungry hounds and chocolate under the same roof.

Senior veterinary surgeon Vicky Sims said: Buster was quite lucky. Creme eggs have a fairly low theobromine content because theyre half fondant.

Higher quality posh chocolates are the most dangerous as they have high concentrated doses of theobromine - which poisons pets.

Many people are simply not aware that even small amounts of human chocolate can kill a little dog. If you want to indulge your pet you should opt for a healthy pet treat instead.

Ms Dawes said: Hes already tried to eat a bag of crisps and a toilet roll since hes been home - Ill have to keep a close eye on him from now on to keep him out of trouble.

Consider this your post-Easter warning. If you want something sweet, just down a peep. Any peep will do. I prefer the short ones with chocolate on their faces.

*Pic courtesy Sky News/First For Breaking News
The funniest dog blog, written by a dog, on the internet. Commentary on the latest animal news stories of the day. Read a chapter from my upcoming book, BAD TO THE BONE.

Contributions

Tip: Creating a profile and avatar takes just a minute and is a great way to participate in Dogster's community of people who are passionate about dogs.

blog comments powered by Disqus