Maine Labrador Retriever Thumper Saves Man from Fire Caused by Cat

I'm glad that no one was hurt but doesn't this sound like the sequel to "Dogs and Cats?" Thanks to the Bangor News for this...

Joy  |  Oct 14th 2007


I’m glad that no one was hurt but doesn’t this sound like the sequel to “Dogs and Cats?”

Thanks to the Bangor News for this article.

Dog saves man from house fire in Greenville
By Diana Bowley
Wednesday, October 10, 2007

GREENVILLE, Maine A local man has a four-legged angel.

If it hadnt been for Thumper, his black Labrador retriever, Roland Cote, 56, said he would have died Sunday in a fast-moving fire that consumed his house on Scammon Road.



“She grabbed me by the arm and woke me from a sound sleep,” Cote recalled Tuesday. He said he awoke at about 3:30 a.m. to flames and had only a minute to get downstairs, grab the telephone, dial 911, and give his name and address, before the house was in flames.

Cote said his wife, Avalone, and their grandson, Colby, 7, who lives with the couple in the two-story converted garage, were away visiting relatives.

Cote said he concurred with an investigator from the State Fire Marshals Office who sifted through the debris Tuesday. That fire official, he said, believes the fire was caused by a kerosene lantern that Princess, the family cat, apparently tipped over. The lantern, which was used as a night light, melted the rubber gas line to the refrigerator and the fire spread like a train, he said.

Because the house is solar-powered, all of the appliances run on propane, Cote said. Luckily, 200 gallons of propane stored in a tank behind the house didnt explode, thanks to the efforts of Greenville firefighters, he said.

Cote said neither he nor Thumper was injured but Princess had her tail singed.

Follow this link to read the rest of the article.

Get Dogster in Your Inbox!

Stay informed! Get tips and exclusive deals.

May We Also Recommend

Our Most-Commented Stories