Guinness World Records Names a New World's Smallest Dog
The dog world can rest easy tonight, as a new smallest dog in the world (actual title: Smallest Dog Living) has finally been christened by Guinness World Records. This caps months of intense speculation by dog lovers everywhere, with long-winded debates breaking out in comment sections, bars, and even the senate floor (Ted Cruz, R-Texas).
Finally, a ruling came down. The 2013 Smallest Dog in the World is ... small. Victory! To be sure, the dog is small. How small? I don't know.
Okay: She's 3.8 inches, from backbone to paw. Small, to use the vernacular.
Her name is Miracle Milly. She is a brown Chihuahua.
“She knows how to pose,” owner Vanesa Semler told The Associated Press.
She also knows how to crush her competition. Licking her paws right now is a dethroned long-haired Chihuahua from Kentucky named Boo Boo, who stands outclassed at a massive four inches. Enough about Boo Boo.
“Milly really likes salmon and chicken,” Semler said.
Here's what we know about Milly thus far, thanks to The AP:
- Milly weighed less than an ounce when she was born and "fit in a teaspoon." We don't know whether Semler ever put her in a teaspoon.
- Early on, she slept in a doll's crib next to Semler's bed.
- She doesn’t bark and likes playing with the plants in Semler’s backyard. (The make of plants is not specified, so make of that what you will.)
- Semler has nine other Chihuahuas.
“We give her a new toy almost every week,” Semler said. “She likes to cuddle with them.”
Here is Milly amongst her awards:
Here is Milly cavorting with a candy bar:
Here is Milly on the View (second from left):
Here is Milly weighing in against Floyd Mayweather (TKO):
Here is Milly eating a bone -- weird!
Sorry for knocking Boo Boo a while back. Here's a picture of Boo Boo:
In Milly's honor (also Boo's), let's hope that awards like these are just a fun thing we do to celebrate a quirk in a litter and that people aren't actually irresponsibly breeding dogs to be as small (or as large) as possible to win stuff like this.
Read more about record-breaking dogs:
- Norman the Scooter Dog Rides into a Guinness World Record
- Surf Dogs Break Guinness World Records in San Diego
- Guinness World Records Names the Dog with the World's Largest Eyes
- Meet Zeus, the Tallest Dog in the World
- I Went to the Most Expensive Pet Wedding in History
- The 10 Biggest Dog Breeds
- The 10 Smallest Dog Breeds