Dog Saves Family From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

 |  Dec 16th 2008  |   3 Contributions


I just love starting off the day with a dog hero story. Stacie Pitts' from Van Buren, AK was woken up by her dog Miley in the early morning hours of December 7. When Pitts' woke she had a headache and went back to sleep, Miley kept barking until she got back up.

Pitts said she was overcome with nausea and realized then that something was wrong.

"I couldn't hold anything down. I ran to the bathroom throwing up," Pitts said. "And I wasn't throwing anything up but chemicals. It tasted like medicine in the back of my throat."

Her fiance, Richard Childers, woke up with a headache and woke up Pitts' 6-year-old stepdaughter.

"It took a while (for Richard) to wake her up. And when she woke, she had a headache," Pitts said.

Childers then called an ambulance, which took Pitts to Summit Medical Center while Childers and the child, who had also thrown up, followed in his vehicle.

At the hospital, Pitts said, doctors found that Pitts had a carbon monoxide level of 25, Childers tested at 20-22 and Pitts' stepdaughter's level was 17. The poison permanently scarred Pitts' lungs.

"My doctor said I was just inches away from the deadly point. I was not comatose, but I couldn't open my eyes," she said.

When the home was inspected by Arkansas Oklahoma Gas they found the leak was found coming from a home heating unit. Stacie Pitts' was renting the place and there was no carbon monoxide detector in the home, the landlord has since installed one.

Thank goodness they had their own carbon monoxide detector, Miley.

* There was no picture so I used Dogster member Miley.

Contributions

Tip: Creating a profile and avatar takes just a minute and is a great way to participate in Dogster's community of people who are passionate about dogs.

blog comments powered by Disqus