One More Reason to Check the Carrier When Flying with Your Dog
We've had a lot of stories about cats and dogs who've been lost in airports, escaping their carriers and fleeing, panicked, into crowded terminals. It rarely ends well. Some animals are never seen again; some don't make it out alive. In most cases, after a pet escapes, he seems to vanish, and there's a long period of uncertainty as personnel try to figure out where the animal went.
This time, however, everybody knew exactly where the dog went -- and it was a very bad place, indeed. On Tuesday at LAX, a Boxer was in the process of being loaded onto a flight to Paris when he chewed his way out of his kennel and ran. He saw a wide-open area and headed for it.
Yep, the runways.
You can imagine the runways at LAX are kind of busy, and they were. According to the Los Angeles Times, one plane had to abort its takeoff and "another pulled up from a landing to avoid hitting the dog."
Airport personnel swung into action and were able to corner the dog in a ditch that runs parallel to LAX's north perimeter fence. The Boxer was on the loose for about an hour.
The dog's owner, meanwhile, had taken an earlier flight outbound to Paris, and was no doubt resting comfortably in the recline position, dreaming of the Left Bank, when his dog was running around the tarmac back at LAX causing planes to abort landings.
Oh, to be a dog owner.
All turned out well in this case, and flights were only "delayed slightly," which says something about the skill of LAX workers to get planes off the ground. We assume the Boxer is OK and will be reunited with his owner soon in the city of love.
Tips to traveling with your dog or cat:
- Q&A: How I Travel Internationally with a Large Dog
- Is Your Dog Scared of Airports and Planes? Fly Air Hollywood
- Tips For Traveling With Your Dog
- What You Need to Know for Traveling With Your Dog By Plane
- How to Take That First Trip with Your Dog
- Traveling with Your Cat by Airplane
- Cat Travel Tips
Read more about cats and dogs who got lost in airports:
- Chester the Cat Is Missing in the Montreal Airport
- Xiaohwa the Cat Is Missing at JFK Airport
- Missing Cat Found Alive and Well at Sea-Tac Airport
- Search for Lost Cat Becomes an International Saga | Catster
- Larry, the Italian Greyhound Lost by Air Canada at SFO, is Feared Dead
- Dog "Lost" By Delta Airlines Turns Up Dead
- Jack Is Healing But He's Not Out of the Woods Yet