Danger At The Groomers: Cage Dryers
This is a must read for every dog lover out there who loves to have their precious ones groomed.
Lisa and I were watching The Today Show this morning when Meridith Viera did a segment on the dangers lurking at the groomers. She told of a story about her assistant's dog, Sushi, who died while getting groomed. Tragically Sushi was put in a cage dryer, set at 100 degrees, for 30 minutes.
Since we usually bathe our dogs at home we had no idea there were such things as cage dryers. We have, however, on occasion had them bathed when they were boarded so that they would be nice and clean when we brought them home. This was a real wake-up call to us, as I'm sure it will be to many of you. The most disturbing fact is that the pet grooming industry is unregulated, anyone could be working those machines.
The horrifying story of a dog that died after being left in a kennel drying machine is a tragic warning about an unregulated industry, an expert said Friday - and a wake-up call to pet owners who need to do their homework about the facilities they trust with their beloved animals.
It's hard to think of anything more awful than your beloved pet dying while getting a routine bath.
Groomer and instructor Joey Villan gives important tips on how to find a qualified groomer. Hopefully, making everyone aware of this heartbreaking tragedy will prevent it from happening again.
Villani encourages every pet owner do research on the facility they've chosen before handing over their pooch or kitty. And his tips go beyond inquiring about the usage of kennel dryers.
"You have to ask questions," he said. "But first, a groomer should really be asking you questions. They should be professional. The place should look and smell clean. They should ask you to tour the facilities. They should show you where the dog is going to be caged, what the procedures are going to be.
"If they don't, ask them," Villani continued. "Get a little bit more involved and ask, OK, what's the procedure here? What are you doing to my dog?' And if they're reluctant about showing you the place, walk away."
In addition, Villani says pet owners should inquire about the products and foods used at a facility. They should also investigate safety procedures, to the point of examining the length of leashes and their safety nooses on grooming decks.
"A lot of people call it a noose, but I call it a safety noose because it sounds better," he said. "If that's not adjusted properly and it has a little bit of play in it, when a dog jumps off the table and that snaps, it will break the dog's neck. Groomers need to be within hands-reach of the dog at all times."
Thanks to Amanda and Keith Bushey for sharing their very sad story so that others won't have to experience the pain and loss they did.