Close X

ASPCA Warns Pet Guardians to Keep Mistletoe Away From Dogs and Cats

This timely warning comes from the ASPCA. PET POISON TIP: NO CATS & DOGS UNDER THE MISTLETOE, PLEASE! While it may be nice to run...

Joy  |  Nov 28th 2006


mistletoe

This timely warning comes from the ASPCA.

PET POISON TIP: NO CATS & DOGS UNDER THE MISTLETOE, PLEASE!

While it may be nice to run into your sweetie under this traditional holiday plant, mistletoe can be potentially toxic to our animal companions.

Found throughout the United States, American mistletoe is actually a parasitic plant that lives off a variety of different tree species. If ingested in large enough quantities, mistletoe can potentially produce gastrointestinal irritation in pets, excessive thirst and urination, a drop in blood pressure and heart rate, seizures, coma and even death. According to our experts at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC), however, most animal ingestions involve small quantitiesnot more than the amount found in a sprig or twoand typically result in mild stomach upset that resolves with little or no treatment.

Remember, if you suspect that your pet has ingested a potentially toxic substance, contact your local veterinarian or the APCC at (888) 426-4435. For more pet poison prevention tips, visit ASPCA.org.