Bad Breakdown: Amanda Bynes Douses Her Dog in Gasoline
For a while, Amanda Bynes has been the subject of multiple stories about her bizarre behavior, with many speculating that the actress was headed for a breakdown.
Sadly, it seems to have happened, and she took her dog with her. Fortunately, the dog is safe. Bynes is in the hospital under 5150 psychiatric hold, and her Pomeranian is with her parents.
It could have been much worse. On Monday, Bynes showed up in a liquor store with her dog, reeking of gasoline, according to the New York Daily News. She headed to a back-office sink and tried to wash gasoline off the dog, without asking anybody.
"When (the clerk on duty) went back there to see what she was doing, he could smell gasoline. She seemed freaked out and just kind of walked out. I don't think there was a whole lot of communication," Southwest Market & Deli employee Tony Darghali told the Daily News. "It looks like the poor girl needs some help."
Surveillance footage obtained by the gossip website TMZ.com shows Bynes in a wig pacing around the store with the dog, then leaving.
Here's the video:
At around the same time, police received 911 call that a plastic container was on fire in a driveway. A witness, who arrived before authorities, said he had seen Bynes rolling around on the ground next to the fire, with her pants ablaze. When the fire was out, she had run to her dog.
“It’s dark, it’s 8:45, and I just see her laying down, stomach up and her pant legs on fire, a trail of, you know, fire and gas, and I pull over,” said witness Andrew Liverpool, according to the New York Post.
She was "kind of frantic and discombobulated," the witness said.
It's not clear whether Bynes went to the store before or after the she's believe to have lit the fire. Nevertheless, when the police finally caught up with her, they determined after questioning that she needed to be put on psychiatric hold.
Fortunately, after Amanda was taken to the hospital, her parents claimed the dog. We hope they'll keep her.