Nominate Your Favorite Dogster Member to Be the Poster Pup for Adopt a Senior Dog Month
Unfortunately, older dogs in shelters are often passed over for their younger counterparts and first for euthanasia lists. Many older dogs are abandoned because people simply don't want to deal with the responsibilities of an aging dog, trading them in for younger models. What some people don't realize is that more mature dogs can be much easier companions -- no longer full of puppy energy, they can be calmer, content to just hang out with you all day.
We're big fans of adoption here, but for November, we'd like to highlight a segment of the shelter population that really needs some extra attention. We have lots of articles and resources about senior dogs right here on Dogster!
In addition to celebrating our elder dogs, we're going to feature a senior Dogster member each week of November and we're asking you to help with the nomination process.
- In the comments below link to a senior Dogster member you think deserves special recognition.
- Nominations must be Dogster members with their own Dogster page.
- Include a 100-word paragraph about why your nomination should be featured on the Dogster homepage.
- We're looking for senior dogs who really exemplify why people should consider adopting an older pet. Great photos are a plus!
- Check back with Dogster each Wednesday this month to see who've selected.
All dogs are awesome, but for the month of November, we're going to take a little time to put the spotlight on some of our community's favorite elders.
We look forward to sharing your senior canines!
Top photo via Dogster member Buddy
Read about adoption on Dogster:
- 10 Compelling Reasons to Add a Shelter Dog to Your Life
- On the Subject of Dog Adoption, I'm a Snob -- How About You?
- 8 Questions to Ask Yourself Before You Adopt a New Dog
About Liz Acosta: Dogster's former Cuteness Correspondent, Liz still manages the site's daily "Awws," only now she also wrangles Dogster's social media. That's why she wants you to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and -- her personal favorite -- Instagram. See ya there!