5 Surprising Foods That Are Poisonous To Dogs
A while back I posted about five surprising foods that can be harmful to dogs that many people dont know about.
Dogster member Mr. Henry had sent over the info because he wanted to make sure all his pals stayed healthy. In the article garlic and onion are mentioned as being potentially dangerous, something I hadn't realized until I read about it.
I just received a message from Bo's friend Angel Mica letting me know she just found out about the danger of those foods. I thought if she didn't know there may still be many others who don't and the message is worth repeating.
Here's a list of several natural and seemingly healthy human foods that are harmful or even toxic to dogs.
Garlic & Onion: Though treated as a health food and often taken in supplement form by humans, garlic (along with its alliaceae cousins onions and leeks) is toxic-sometimes deadly-for pets, with reactions ranging from stomach damage to acute dermatitis to asthmatic attacks. Pets By Nature reports the story of a Pennsylvania woman who lost her Newfoundland to garlic poisoning: Within two weeks of feeding a popular garlic supplement available at most pet stores and over the Internet, her Newfoundland developed a bleeding ulcer and perforated intestine. The dog did not survive.
Grapes & Raisins: While not as toxic as members of the onion family, consumption of grapes and raisins can cause vomiting, dehydration and, in large quantities, kidney failure. The exact toxin present in grapes is not known, but scientists have established that both commercially and privately cultivated grapes, as well as raisins, present a risk.
According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), avocado leaves, fruit, seeds and bark contain a toxic substance called Persin, which can cause vomiting, diarrhea and other gastrointestinal unpleasantness in dogs. While a medium-sized dog would have to consume a substantial quantity of avocado (picture a big bowl of guacamole) to become seriously ill, even a little bit is enough to cause an upset tummy.
Macadamia Nuts: Not widely consumed outside of Hawaii, macadamia nuts pose a stealth risk to canine health. The nuts can cause macadamia nut toxicosis, resulting in soreness, stiffness, and listlessness, according to Working Dog Magazine. The condition usually passes in 48 hours, but can lead to shock in severe cases.
Nutmeg: This popular spice, commonly used to season cakes, vegetables and even lasagna, should never be found on your dogs dinner plate. Nutmeg, which has mild hallucinogenic properties, can cause seizures, tremors, central nervous system problems in dogs. In severe cases, shock and death have been reported.
Looking for Fido friendly snacks? Grab your leash and run on over to read about some healthy foods that can be added to your dogs diet.