The annual celebration honoring fatherhood and paternal bonds known as Father’s Day is this Sunday. Who’s your doggie Daddy? And what are you getting him? Here’s a last-minute list of suggestions we hope you find helpful!
1. Please don’t just get the guy a tie. But if you will anyway, at least try to get him new and unique neckwear with a delightful dog theme. Or, if not new, vintage and unique — like this “pre-owned” Hermes number.
2. As the tie exercise above proves, even predictable Dad’s Day gifts look fresh if there’s a dog angle involved. If your Pop wears French cuffs, consider Ted Baker’s catchy Corgi cufflinks.
3. For those rainy-day walks when Dad and his dog both need to take cover, consider an umbrella big enough to shield both of them, such as this neat golf brolly.
4. A John Bartlett T-shirt always looks good, plus buying one actually does good by supporting a great cause: The Tiny Tim Rescue Fund, named after the designer’s late, great mutt (whose likeness appears on the T).
5. Is your Dad the grillmeister of the house? Accessorize him with a stain-resistant apron. Not just any apron, but one proudly printed with a William Wegman dog doodle!
6. Experts agree that walking is the heart-healthiest exercise, and Dogster readers agree that walking with a dog (or two) is the most fun form of fitness there is. So encourage Dad to get out and walk, and if he hasn’t got a four-footed walking buddy, personally escort him to your local animal shelter to adopt one!
7. Don’t let Dad’s dog step out with just any old collar; make sure he’s got a happening harness, like this one from Sporn, that looks great and prevents unwanted pulling.
8. Help Dad cover up bedhead (or, as the case may be, bald head!) on those early-a.m. dog walks with Cloud Star’s “Wag More, Bark Less” baseball cap.
9. If Dad has left walking in the dust and prefers running with Spot instead, get him a pair of very cool, very cool-looking Newton shoes, and pretty soon he’ll be marathon-ready.
10. For apres-run, when it’s time to give the Newtons a rest, Dad could sure use a pair of flip-flops. Consider these, by Musewear.
11. Does your Dad do his fair share of traveling for business? Get him a pair of dapper yet casual pants that will feel as comfy on a long flight as they do on a jog with Spot.
12. If he’s cuckoo for cocoa, get Dad an assortment of Rescue Chocolate bars; with profits from sales supporting animal rescue, this really is “The Sweetest Way to Save a Life.”
13. What Dad doesn’t enjoy a cold one? Portland’s Hair of the Dog Brewing Company lets you give him cold ones by the six-pack — all with a K9 twist.
14. Is Dad more of an oenophile? Then by all means skip the brew and gift him with a membership to the Dog Lovers Wine Club.
15. Keep your Pit Bull Dad’s beverages hot or cold all day with a big ol’ Thermos that proclaims pit pride.
Do you have any suggestions for the doggie daddy in your life? Please share in the comments!
Man and dachshund by Shutterstock.com